Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sports

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM
  • 29 Replies

Is your daughter involved in organized sports, or if she's too young do you intend to get her involved when she's older?

What sports? What benefits do you feel sports gives to girls? Were you involved with sports when you were a girl?

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

My oldest was a cheerleader from 1st grade through 12th grade.  My 15 yo is a cheerleader for school, and my 9 yo daughter plays basketball.  My son plays basketball too.

Harris06
by Megan on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:43 PM

My girls are young but if they want to play sports than they can. If not than I won't make them. I did not play sports but only because I preferred to play piano. :) I do think that it helps tremendously with self-esteem and self confidence.

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Yes, she does cheerleading.

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Jul. 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

My daughter plays soccer... :O)

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM

What benefits do you think sports had for your children? And yes, I do consider cheerleading a sport, considering that it takes a lot of physical activity, skill, practice and competition..

Quoting 4kidz916:

My oldest was a cheerleader from 1st grade through 12th grade.  My 15 yo is a cheerleader for school, and my 9 yo daughter plays basketball.  My son plays basketball too.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Do you think this helps her self-esteem?

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Yes, she does cheerleading.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Do you think this makes her stronger-emotionally as well as physically?

Quoting kurtkamkaitsmom:

My daughter plays soccer... :O)

HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM

she is too young, when old enough we will have to see what our area offers. We plan on home educating so I don't knwo how much organized sports especially for girls there is. 

un organized, we have lots of opportunities for volleyabll, softball etc. We do value what sports can teach (team work, failure, victory etc) 

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM

When you start home schooling, hopefully there will be an organization in your area that has group activities for kids who are home schooled. Our local library has a list of resources for home schoolers, you might want to keep that in mind. I agree with you on the advantages of sports.

Quoting HamBergerMama:

she is too young, when old enough we will have to see what our area offers. We plan on home educating so I don't knwo how much organized sports especially for girls there is. 

un organized, we have lots of opportunities for volleyabll, softball etc. We do value what sports can teach (team work, failure, victory etc) 

heather4511
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:48 AM
Right now she isn't. She wants to be in soccer, baseball, swim, dance and gymnastics. So I'm trying to see what she is most serious about.

I do want to encourage my DD to play on a team of some sort. Because when i played softball, I felt great. I was in the best shape of my life, I had that group of friends, I also did really well in school. I had so much confidence. I want my daughter to have that feeling as well. I didn't see it back then,though i wish i could go back to it now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)