Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fathers & Daughters

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

Do you feel that it is important for a girl to have a father or at least a fatherly figure? Is it essential to her personal views of who and what she is? 

Does having a father/fatherly figure help a girl to understand what having a relationship with a man is like or supposed to be?

Did you grow up with or without a father?

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
Today at 10:16 PM
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not have married my husband if I didn't think he'd be a good father. He's amazing. My dad's amazing, too.

slightlyperfect

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's important to have a strong male role model in a girl's life.  It's an even bigger plus when that role model is the father.  I grew up with my wonderful father in my life. 

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I think it's important for her to have a male figure, and if that male figure is dad great.  Personal views, who and what she is will develop over the years.  From family, friends, parents, peers, teachers, and etc will all impact on how that is developed.

No, I don't think solely having a dad figure helps to understand a relationship because he is not the only one in it.

My dad was part time.  DD does have a dad figure in her life, which is DH.  Not her bio-dad, but the best dad in the whole wide world.

coala
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

A male role model is just as important for girls as it is for boys.  Each sex gets something different from it though.  I didn't have a strong male role model and I think it affected me in several ways when it came to men and how I should be treated.  I believe that my DD has a great role model with her Daddy b/c we are showing her together how relationships are supposed to be, how woman are to be treated and what a family unit is supposed to look like.  My SO is 1 of 2 stable role models in my nieces life and the 2nd one isn't even her father, but her grandfather.  I am in the process of adopting her and I hope that she gets just as much from my SO that our DD has gotten.  We both love her like she is ours.

TurboMom81
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is important for a girl to have positive male role models.  I've seen women who had no father look for a father figure in their personal relationships and it never ended well for them.  

I believe that if a girl grows up seeing a positive male role model who treats women with love a respect then she will grow up looking for those same qualities in her future partner.  The same can be said for the opposite. If a girl grows up seeing men beat on women, she may see that as normal and end up in an abusive relationship herself.

Thankfully I have had my Father with me my entire life and he is good to my mom and works very hard to support the family. The same qualities I found in Steve when I met him, and we married 11 months later!

MomTiara19
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi,

I feel it is very important that a girl have a strong loving male figure in her life.I had a step father but he wasnt much of a fatherly role model.I had to learn the hard way with insecurity and bad choices in men.

Eventually I met my dh.He is all I could ever ask for in a husband and father to our kids.My daughter glows around her dad.She says he is her hero.She is a bonafide daddy's girl...lol..

~Tia

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I love your signature. It fits with what I think of my husband towards my daughters.  May I use it?  : )

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I would not have married my husband if I didn't think he'd be a good father. He's amazing. My dad's amazing, too.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Do you think your relationship with your dad had any effect on any of your dating relationships/marriage?

Quoting 4kidz916:

I think it's important to have a strong male role model in a girl's life.  It's an even bigger plus when that role model is the father.  I grew up with my wonderful father in my life. 

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Quoting AzariahsMother:

No, I think it's important for her to have a male figure, and if that male figure is dad great.  Personal views, who and what she is will develop over the years.  From family, friends, parents, peers, teachers, and etc will all impact on how that is developed.  ~~   This is so true.

No, I don't think solely having a dad figure helps to understand a relationship because he is not the only one in it. ~~ Would you say that the lack of a father or father figure  helps shape a girls views on how men should treat women?

My dad was part time.  DD does have a dad figure in her life, which is DH.  Not her bio-dad, but the best dad in the whole wide world. ~~ I had a bio father but he was never there for me growing up or now.  My view is, if a girl has a great father in a step or adopted father, then that is awesome. That alone shows that its not always blood that creates a relationship but its the way someone thinks and feels about someone, that has the most impact.  Positive or negative.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I think this is more true than not.

Quoting coala:

A male role model is just as important for girls as it is for boys.  Each sex gets something different from it though.  I didn't have a strong male role model and I think it affected me in several ways when it came to men and how I should be treated. ~~  I  didn't have a male role model at all. I also believe it affected me the same as you say it did you.

I believe that my DD has a great role model with her Daddy b/c we are showing her together how relationships are supposed to be, how woman are to be treated and what a family unit is supposed to look like.  ~~  I so agree with you here.

My SO is 1 of 2 stable role models in my nieces life and the 2nd one isn't even her father, but her grandfather.  I am in the process of adopting her and I hope that she gets just as much from my SO that our DD has gotten.  We both love her like she is ours. ~~  That is so awesome!  Its wonderful when someone steps up to take a responsibility for someone not their own. I wish more people had the same attitude as you and your S/O. Kudos to you both. : )  Much Blessings to you. : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN