Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you feel that it is important for a girl to have a father or at least a fatherly figure? Is it essential to her personal views of who and what she is? 

Does having a father/fatherly figure help a girl to understand what having a relationship with a man is like or supposed to be?

Did you grow up with or without a father?

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Replies (11-14):
kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

This was me in every way.   That is more true than most would like to believe.

When I met my husband, he turned out to be the best in every way. I am so blessed to have him in my life and as my husband. And my kids have had the best role model ever.

Quoting TurboMom81:

I think it is important for a girl to have positive male role models.  I've seen women who had no father look for a father figure in their personal relationships and it never ended well for them.  

I believe that if a girl grows up seeing a positive male role model who treats women with love a respect then she will grow up looking for those same qualities in her future partner.  The same can be said for the opposite. If a girl grows up seeing men beat on women, she may see that as normal and end up in an abusive relationship herself.

Thankfully I have had my Father with me my entire life and he is good to my mom and works very hard to support the family. The same qualities I found in Steve when I met him, and we married 11 months later!

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Hi Tia!  I'm Sonja. Its nice to meet you.  : )

Its sad when we have to learn this way.  But I have found that its better to understand this about myself and to build on that instead of trying to get rid of it like you would a bad stink. It has helped me to become the strong individual that I have become today and inspite of it. And because I know this about myself, I am able to help my daughters even more.  : )

I have 4 daughters and all of them are definitely bonafide daddy's girls too!  lol  Its just so adorable to watch in action.  : )

Quoting MomTiara19:

Hi,

I feel it is very important that a girl have a strong loving male figure in her life.I had a step father but he wasnt much of a fatherly role model.I had to learn the hard way with insecurity and bad choices in men.

Eventually I met my dh.He is all I could ever ask for in a husband and father to our kids.My daughter glows around her dad.She says he is her hero.She is a bonafide daddy's girl...lol..

~Tia

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's important to have a Dad or at the very least a fatherly figure in a girls' life.  I grew up with a father...but he wasn't much of a Dad.

Like my husband's Father's Day shirt says "Anyone can be a Father...but it takes someone special to be Kayla, Madison, Angelina, Kiara & Kaden's Dad."

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Quoting Kmakksmom:

I think it's important to have a Dad or at the very least a fatherly figure in a girls' life.  I grew up with a father...but he wasn't much of a Dad.

Like my husband's Father's Day shirt says "Anyone can be a Father...but it takes someone special to be Kayla, Madison, Angelina, Kiara & Kaden's Dad."

This is so true!  :)  

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)