Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you belong to Girl Scouts? Does your daughter?

If so, in what ways do you feel they help with a growing girl?

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:56 AM

That's terriffic that you can be there and experience it with her. That's being a good role model!

Quoting embrigmom:

I belonged to Girl Scouts when I was growing up. My Daughter is in her second year of Jr. girl scouts. I feel that girl scouts gives growing self-confidence and self-esteem. It also teaches them skills cooking, money mangement and so on. Lets them meet people diffrent from themselves and gets them involed in the community. I am also a girl scout leader!

PinkParadox
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Both my daughters are!  One Daisy, One Brownie.  I became a co-leader when they became interested.  We do a lot of crafts & outings.  Learn about the environment and other cultures.  Lots of ways they build confidence.  One of their main goals is to raise girls to be leaders...but in totally fun ways.  The girls make really good friends.  I think the girl scout law says it all:

I will do my best to be 
    honest and fair, 
    friendly and helpful, 
    considerate and caring, 
    courageous and strong, and 
   responsible for what I say and do,
and to
    respect myself and others, 
    respect authority, 
    use resources wisely, 
    make the world a better place, and 
    be a sister to every Girl Scout.

Excellent values =)  We made a poster of this that hangs on my daughter's wall...and we reference it all the time!  Now, that doesn't mean I stand behind their political views, or anything like that.  But, the actual meetings are what you make of them.  It helps if you become involved in the troop, or even start your own.  

Bob192
by Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter has been in a couple of troops and I can say every troop is different.  The first troop never did anything but meetings and there was no leadership.  We chose to leave that one and found another one.  She has gone camping, horse back riding, swimming and done lots of community service.  Because she is in Girl Scouts she does much more community service than we would do on our own.  She has lots of fun and loves it.  For this we stay in it.  The whole organization is completely unorganized (we also had a problem getting into a troop b/c no one called us back).  Every event we attend there is some confusion because directions were given wrong or people don't know what's going on. I also don't feel like I belong in the group of moms in our troop.  But it's about her and as long as she is loving it and learning from it she will stay in.

.Angelica.
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

i never did. not sure if dd will or not.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I did and my younger one does.

mamivon2
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM

My dd is not we just cant find a scout troop near us.. maybe one day

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I was a brownie for a little bit. I am not sure if my girls will want to get involved with the girl scouts or not. :)

amy7243
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Nope my daughter has never wanted to be in girl scouts.

KaylaMillar
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM
I'm not a Fan of girl scouts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samanthamommy
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)