Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is the topic of self-esteem personally important to you?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi ladies,

Do you have daughters? Did you struggle with self-esteem issues? Tell us why self-esteem conversations are important to you.

teen girl

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (31-34):
VioletteClark
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I think self-esteem is incredibly important - if we have low self-esteem our lives are usually pretty dismal and sad.  We cannot live up to our incredible potential if our self-esteem is terrible.  Because i didn't have supportive parents and i was painfully shy i had an unhappy childhood and wanted to make sure when my daughter was born that her life would be different.  It was - she is now a grown woman with amazing self-esteem, she has a career that is creative and challenges her every day and she has pretty much attained whatever she has strived for.  I credit the encouragement she received as a child and teen for most of that!  Now i have focused on reparenting myself and giving ME what i did not get as a child.  My way to healthy self-esteem was through art - same with my daughter.  My son's way was through the sciences and computers.  When you find something you or your child is good at focus on that and encourage the development of those skills.

I was once told by an Aboriginal fellow (who has become a police officer) that his way out of a bad life was through hockey.  He said that sports pretty much saved him from a life of pain, drugs and alcohol.  Everyone has a way in - everyone is good at something.  Focus on that and encourage it!

Love, Violette

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I have 4 daughters and I still struggle with self-esteem. However, when I look at my daughters, I see that I am in each one of them and I know that I have done something so unique and wonderful that it boosts my self-image and my self-confidence and how I view myself. I am somebody unique too. How can I not be and produce these gorgeous little beings that are growing up before my very eyes?  Teaching my daughters to be secure in who they are and where they come from, will be the key to becoming their strong, self-confident selves and being happy within and with their surroundings, no matter the circumstances.  

That is why self-esteem goes hand in hand with self-confidence and why they are very important in life. 

undefined

Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I don't know that I ever had self-esteem issues but I have seen the affects of it and I have seen the affects of children who do not have parents who uplift them. It is, therefore, my goal to make sure that my children always know their worth and know that they are who they are and anyone who thinks otherwise can take a flying leap. They are fearfully and wonderfully made by God, himself, and He knew what he was doing. 

Samanthamommy
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I do not want them having a bad vision of themselves

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)