Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Causes of Arthritis You Might Not Know About

Posted by   + Show Post

8 Causes of Arthritis You Might Not Know About

There are many risk factors for developing osteoarthritis, but it can be hard to know the facts from the myths. Adapted from Taking Care of Arthritis published by The Reader's Digest Association Inc.

By HealthCentral Editorial Staff

1. Women and girls have a higher risk of developing arthritis. - Nearly two thirds of all Americans with some form of arthritis are female. Women represent 74% of all cases of osteoarthritis alone.

2. Osteoarthritis may run in families. - A certain gene mutation may cause joints to produce defective collagen, a protein in cartilage, which may weaken cartilage and cause it to break down in the joints.

3. Osteoarthritis is more common in older people than younger people. - However, old age DOES NOT cause osteoarthritis, nor is osteoarthritis an inevitable result of aging. Studies show that osteoarthritis can be prevented.

4. Being overweight increased risk for osteoarthritis. - Every extra pound of weight you put on adds 4 to 8 more pounds of stress to your knees and hips, the body's load-bearing joints.

5. "Double-jointed" People. - When the bones of a joint are not tightly bound, they may bang together and damage cartilage, which often causes pain and early morning stiffness.

6. Your job may increase your risk of osteoarthritis. - Constantly bending your knees - such as miners, dockworkers or some construction workers may do - is more likely to cause osteoarthritis to develop.

7. Exercise can help protect joints from osteoarthritis - Inactivity increases the risk of osteoarthritis by leading to weight gain, muscle atrophy and failure to produce new, healthy cartilage.

8. Sports-related injuries and other joint injuries can lead to osteoarthritis. - Anyone who suffers injury to any part of their joints may develop osteoarthritis later on, even young adults and teens.

http://www.healthcentral.com/osteoarthritis/cf/slideshows/8-causes-of-arthritis-you-might-not-know-about/women-and-girls-have-a-higher-risk-of-developing-arthritis?ap=825

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
daerca574
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM

thanks for the info!

.Angelica.
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM

never knew this. thanks!

heather4511
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Thanks for sharing. All the more reason to maintain my weight and stop cracking my knuckles :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I had breast reduction surgery 2 years ago. A big part of my decision to do it then instead of wait until I was older was to reduce the risk of arthritis or permanent injury from the strain they were putting on my body. Best decision I ever made.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

thanks

amy7243
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us! Great to know this

KaylaMillar
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Thanks.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Aug. 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Thanks! 

Samanthamommy
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN