Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know we've been talking a bit about our daughters and their daddies, but what about your dad? Do you do anything special with your dad?

I just thought of this because it's become a tradition this summer for my dad and I, every Friday, to go to the local farmers market for some fresh produce and then to a little bar for drinks, food, and fun conversation. I just really value that time with him, and I attribute so much of my success to him, so it makes that time even more special.

What do you all do with your dads? How has your dad contributed to your self-esteem?

slightlyperfect

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
Wish2Be
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting captainjack:

I was very close to my dad we would always have take out Chineese and play cribbage every Friday afternoon.  But now he is dead and miss those times so...much.  Very good memories though.

I am sorry you miss him so much....maybe you should take your family out for chinese food and a game of cribbage in honor of him on his birthday :)

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

I wouldn't be able to answer this question. I didn't grow up with a dad or even a father figure.  But I do have the most wonderful husband in the whole universe. :)

Sometimes its better without him around...I am glad his lack of being there didnt create a domino effect and you still found an awesome hubby!

CafeMom Tickers
Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM

My daddy and I have a great relationship. :)

My husband is a wonderful father to our girls. He takes them on "dates' even if just to the store and their favorite thing to do with him? "Jump on him". They love to rough house. haha

Wish2Be
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Quoting 4kidz916:

I forgot to add that he now has alzeheimer's and is not doing well at all.  The time for us to share a special tradition has come and gone.  :(

His spirit and soul know its you ....his mind just doesnt sweetheart.  I am sorry you have to go through that. I fear the same will happen to my mother...and it will tear me to shreds.

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

Growing up, he was the fun goofy one. My best memories are of when we lived in AK. We'd have races up the down escalators or up the down ones. He helped build a tunnel under the snow from our backyard to a friend's 5 houses down (yeah, we had that much snow on the ground). He always told me the only things I couldn't do were those things I didn't think I could do. That not trying was worse than trying and failing.

Sounds like a great dad. :)

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LilyBeansMom:

My dad is amazing. I hang out with him around the house with family.all the time. Our time is hunting season. He taught his girls what he loves and I have been deer hunting with him since I was 14. I might have given it up by now if it was just about hunting, but that is quiet alone time with just me and Dad sitting out in the woods all day.

As long as you eat what you kill...I think thats pretty awesome !

CafeMom Tickers
Wish2Be
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM

When I was little...my dad would always ask us to see our food and he would steal a piece....it was a game at times. :)

He also built my sister and I an army fort when I was 5 years old....he gave us cleaned out household cleaner sprays with water in them as our guns. He built it tall enough to reach our very high window in the living room ....he would shoot his squirt gun at us and we would try to get him back. It was soo much fun :)

captain..
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM

My dad is an alcoholic he was never there for me growing up and we are not close.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Thank you for the kind words.  It is really hard. 

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting 4kidz916:

I forgot to add that he now has alzeheimer's and is not doing well at all.  The time for us to share a special tradition has come and gone.  :(

His spirit and soul know its you ....his mind just doesnt sweetheart.  I am sorry you have to go through that. I fear the same will happen to my mother...and it will tear me to shreds.

elasmimi
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM

My dad died when I was 14. He contributed to my low self esteem. Enough said.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)