Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ways to Bond and Build Confidence

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 28 Replies

My daughter and I just returned from visiting my parents sans my husband (who couldn't get away from work stuff), which was a blast. You would think it would be a tad stressful traveling, but it was actually a primo experience, full of bonding time. We had to tap into our Mama-Kiddo teamwork with juggling bags, both of us helped each other stay patient while waiting in long security lines, we chatted about what we saw all around.

Spending time together, doing an activity is a great way to bond and build that foundation of communication, as well as boost her confidence. That special time also teaches her that happiness isn't something we can touch and doesn't come from a thing you buy, it is something you experience. Now, since we aren't jetting off every other week, I was thinking of ways that she and I can bond and keep that self-esteem growing on a more regular basis.

Learn something - Whether it's knitting or studying all of the constellations or learning a new language or work your way through a cool cookbook, something you can both start off at the same point and discover together is a prime way to bond as well as build inner self-worth. Hint: if you are learning something together and she says "I can do it, Mom!," let her! Making mistakes and fixing them and getting it right the next time is a huge confidence builder.

Start a reading club - Read the same book. This is a great idea for those of you with older girls, even off at college or out of the house.

Create playlists for each other - If she's really into her music, find common ground by having her make a playlist for you and you make one for her. Share your favorites from when you were her age. This can spark some great conversations.

Get moving together - Take a yoga class every Saturday morning or go for a speed walk Sunday afternoons or make up your own backyard exercise game you do together. Getting an adrenaline rush, racing her, boosting that heartbeat up, all of it is a good way to bond.

Have ritual nighttime talk - Whether it's a few questions each of you answer (odd thought you had that day, what made you feel happy during the day, or the like) or whether it is just 15 minutes you chill on her bed and just listen to what she has to share, connect every day at the same time.

Do you and your daughter share a hobby? What is a special way you connect and bond?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ AVAVA 

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:57 AM

My girls and I each have our own things we do together.  My oldest and I read the same kind of books, she is literally my mini me.  My second daughter and I love watching movies together.  My third and fourth daughters love to dress up and do their nails with me.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:45 AM

We do a lot of different things to have bonding time.  When my oldest daughter was in high school we would have our bonding time after the younger kids went to bed.  We'd watch Will and Grace re-runs, drink hot chocolate, and talk about the day.

Kiwismommy19
by Wendy on Aug. 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Different things. Watch a movie, take a walk, just sit and talk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:11 AM

great tips. my girls and i all have a passion for soccer and reading. the youngest is also getting into photography which i have always enjoyed too!

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM
We like to garden, shop, do crafts and read together.
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM

These are some great ideas. We use car time as our talking time. Nothing in the background to distract-no earphones. On long car trips, we listen to books on tape and after each disc, we talk about what's happened.

goddess99
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I like the idea of reading the same book. We had done yoga together. But I guess we don't really share a hobby. Maybe some day. My hobby is kind of morbid though lol so I wouldn't want her to see the things I've seen. I look through missing peoples files and unidentified peoples files and try to find a match.

ceciliam
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM

My son and I do yoga, together.

TurboMom81
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM

We go for a walk around the neighborhood every Sunday after dinner, as a family.  It's our way of bonding while promoting a healthy lifestyle.  Other things I've done is just take each of my daughters out individually and do something with them, just the two of us.  

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:27 AM

We walk together and when we have time we embroider.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)