Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much is too much for a kid?

Posted by   + Show Post
When do you stop trusting their judgment and play the "I'm the mom" card? How much is too much?
Ki's going out for a major part in the school play. She plays soccer with practice to be 1-2 days a week and a game every weekend. She'll start horse riding lessons in a few weeks once it gets a bit cooler. Plus homework, caring for her dog and life in general. Add in splitting her time 50/50 between here and her dad's (we've been split a little over 5 months now). She's 7 and in 2nd grade. When asked about it, she says "I got this". I figure let her try. Her biggest argument, well not argument since we just had a regular conversation about it, but her biggest I don't know, reason (?) was "I almost died when I was 5 and would have missed everything. I want to do everything". Kid has a helluva point. And a damn good head on her shoulders. She shows maturity, reasoning, responsibility far beyond her years. Spent her summer on 2nd-3rd grade workbooks to get a head start on the school year, her choice. I do worry she's putting too much on herself though.
So. When it comes to your own kids, when do you say "ok, that's enough"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (11-19):
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Sounds like a great girl!  I would let her give you cues on when it is too much.

aneela
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM

it varies by the child...some want more and some dont...its trial and error sometimes

Wish2Be
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Wow your daughter is one heck of a girl :).

I think that maybe instead of saying Okay thats enough...maybe...slow down a little...or how about we have a Mommy daughter day once a week...and you two do something relaxing? :)

Wish2Be
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I think you should let her try to do it all but if she can't do help her understand that is ok to quit sometimes. 

I agree with this...just stay away from the word quit...maybe say take a break !

CafeMom Tickers
countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

For mine I want them to have time to just be kids too.  I keep them to one, at the most two activities at a time and the rest of the time they need to concentrate on school and on having fun and playing and relaxing and just being a kid. 

Samanthamommy
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM

A lot, they are 3 and 5.

mamivon2
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I think girls (children in general) are stronger and smarter we think

Kiwismommy19
by Wendy on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM
So far she's doing great. Riding lessons still haven't started. But she's doing an awesome job managing her time. She's learning the lines and songs for the play auditions in the car to and from soccer practice and on the bus in the mornings and afternoons. And again once homework is done. She's forgot her spelling words twice but still aced the test and is doing better about remembering. And still finding time to put on stuffed animal weddings, and play fetch with her dog :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I guess as long as she seems to be handling everything well and yet still sleeping and not wearing herself down than just let her. She seems that she has a pretty sound mind and when things become too much she will let you know. Sorry I'm not much help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN