Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there any one tv show that you do not allow in your house?

What about growing up, was there anything on TV that your parents didn't let you watch?

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

in our house (miind you my children are all young)

No: Thomas, Sesame Street, (don't agree with the underlying world view) Curious George (he gets rewarded for being naughty, I can encourage curiousity without disobedience =) ) Spongebob and Yo Gabba Gabba (my kids need to use their brains more than that!)

We also don't watch most Disney Cartoon Movies, most because they are a little scary, We used to let them watch Tangled, but then we realized that our kids (who are quite young) don't understand the concept of kidnapping and so they will watch it thinking that she is being disobedient to her mom and the "mom" is portrayed as being bad. From an adult perspective it is accurate, from a 3 year old perspective... totally can be misconstrewed. 

All that to say, they watch Super Why, Leap Frog and Bob the Builder. =P Yeah we are super picky. 

Mrs.Andrews
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Same here! We loved that show. I think we got to watch it because my Mom liked it. My Dad was the one who couldn't stand the dumb Dad shows.

Quoting HamBergerMama:

That was pretty much our list growing up too. The only exception was Home Improvement (Even though Tim was made to look like a bit of a dunce) but Dad enjoyed that show so Mom got over ruled ;-) I grew up on sitcoms from my parents era =)

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

So far, for my kids there has only been like one show. I don't even remember what it was. 

As a kid we weren't allowed to watch most shows and movies. Anything that made men look dumb, anything with language or sexual content, anything with violence, anything with magic or witch craft or evolution or that showed Christianity the wrong way.

Mindaria
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I'm not strict with shows, as long as there is nothing sexual, or violant I don't see the harm. Growing up my mother let me watch foreign movies and to this day I love a good subtitled movie that depicts another time period. I'm also a big World History buff for fun though. 

AzariahsMother
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:11 AM
No, we are pretty open, and my mother was also open.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Whatever happened to when Sesame Street was all innocent and fun? I used to LOVE it! I remember being glued when Maria and Luis got married and when she had her baby and when Mr. Hooper died. Man, those were the days.

Quoting HamBergerMama:

No: Thomas, Sesame Street, (don't agree with the underlying world view) Curious George (he gets rewarded for being naughty, I can encourage curiousity without disobedience =) ) Spongebob and Yo Gabba Gabba (my kids need to use their brains more than that!)

We also don't watch most Disney Cartoon Movies, most because they are a little scary, We used to let them watch Tangled, but then we realized that our kids (who are quite young) don't understand the concept of kidnapping and so they will watch it thinking that she is being disobedient to her mom and the "mom" is portrayed as being bad. From an adult perspective it is accurate, from a 3 year old perspective... totally can be misconstrewed. 

All that to say, they watch Super Why, Leap Frog and Bob the Builder. =P Yeah we are super picky. 

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

daerca574
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM

We really don't have anything that isn't "allowed"  I don't like some of the kids shows, but I never have a problem with what my family watches.

JoJoBean8
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I don't have a list since my kids don't really watch tv.

goddess99
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM

When my dd was younger it was spongbob.

SlightlyPerfect
It's here...
Today at 9:19 AM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

What is the underlying worldview of "Sesame Street"?

I can't stand "Super Why." The other day DD said to me, "But, Mommy, I can't help you clean! See? It's in my story!" and I'll be damned if I go through each "story" and change the words just to get her to do what I ask! :)

Quoting HamBergerMama:

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
It's here...
Today at 9:19 AM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I don't think there are any "off limits" yet (except anything centered on religion or a god), since DD hasn't found any I've disapproved of on Netflix (we don't have cable).

But there are some real weird ones on Netflix.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)