Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there any one tv show that you do not allow in your house?

What about growing up, was there anything on TV that your parents didn't let you watch?

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Replies (21-30):
TurboMom81
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

My Mom did not let us watch Beavis and Butthead, or half the TV shows on Fox. My older sister and I would watch Beavis and Butthead at Grandma's house when everyone was asleep.

There are no TV shows that I do not allow to be watched in the house.  I don't let my children see some shows. True Blood is definitely off limits, as well as Game of Thrones, but DH and I will watch them once the girls are in bed.

Bmat
by Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM

My parents didn't let me watch Superman- no idea why.

Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Hmm...I wonder what it was about Superman. Violence/fighting, maybe?

Quoting Bmat:

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

.Angelica.
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM

i don't really. and my parents did not. i watched way too many things that i wouldn't let my kids watch. lol

HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM
They tend to promote subtly (or not so much) things like the green movement, political correctness and the like.

I can teach my kids letters and numbers just fine without it :-p

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

What is the underlying worldview of "Sesame Street"?

I can't stand "Super Why." The other day DD said to me, "But, Mommy, I can't help you clean! See? It's in my story!" and I'll be damned if I go through each "story" and change the words just to get her to do what I ask! :)

Quoting HamBergerMama:

in our house (miind you my children are all young)

No: Thomas, Sesame Street, (don't agree with the underlying world view) Curious George (he gets rewarded for being naughty, I can encourage curiousity without disobedience =) ) Spongebob and Yo Gabba Gabba (my kids need to use their brains more than that!)

We also don't watch most Disney Cartoon Movies, most because they are a little scary, We used to let them watch Tangled, but then we realized that our kids (who are quite young) don't understand the concept of kidnapping and so they will watch it thinking that she is being disobedient to her mom and the "mom" is portrayed as being bad. From an adult perspective it is accurate, from a 3 year old perspective... totally can be misconstrewed. 

All that to say, they watch Super Why, Leap Frog and Bob the Builder. =P Yeah we are super picky. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiwismommy19
by Wendy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Nothing I wasn't allowed to watch, nothing Ki's not allowed to watch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I haven't watched Sesame Street since I was very little (my kids have never liked it) but I didn't realize they had that message.  

Quoting HamBergerMama:

They tend to promote subtly (or not so much) things like the green movement, political correctness and the like.

I can teach my kids letters and numbers just fine without it :-p

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

What is the underlying worldview of "Sesame Street"?

I can't stand "Super Why." The other day DD said to me, "But, Mommy, I can't help you clean! See? It's in my story!" and I'll be damned if I go through each "story" and change the words just to get her to do what I ask! :)

Quoting HamBergerMama:

in our house (miind you my children are all young)

No: Thomas, Sesame Street, (don't agree with the underlying world view) Curious George (he gets rewarded for being naughty, I can encourage curiousity without disobedience =) ) Spongebob and Yo Gabba Gabba (my kids need to use their brains more than that!)

We also don't watch most Disney Cartoon Movies, most because they are a little scary, We used to let them watch Tangled, but then we realized that our kids (who are quite young) don't understand the concept of kidnapping and so they will watch it thinking that she is being disobedient to her mom and the "mom" is portrayed as being bad. From an adult perspective it is accurate, from a 3 year old perspective... totally can be misconstrewed. 

All that to say, they watch Super Why, Leap Frog and Bob the Builder. =P Yeah we are super picky. 

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Oh My! I have a huge list.  South Park, Simpsons, American Dad, All adult cartoons, a lot of the disney shows, Barney,  a lot of the evening shows, Beevis and Buutthead, no cartoons with witchcraft, no cartoons that slammed adults and especially the parents. I could go on and on and on and on...but I think I shall stop here.  When I was growing up, they didn't have shows like these. Shows that were not kid appropriate were on around 8 and 9 pm and most young children were sent to bed at those times. Like me. So I didn't watch shows that were not directed to my age group.   :)

undefined

HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM
We weren't allowed to watch lois and Clark but that had more to do with it being like an evening soap opera than the violence.

I'm generally a fan of super heroes, where good is good and bad is bad. But not quite for a 3 year old. It's a touch too violent for them.

Quoting Harris06:

Hmm...I wonder what it was about Superman. Violence/fighting, maybe?

Quoting Bmat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

My girls cannot stand Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon.  So all the shows on those two channels aren't ever seen here.  They also never liked to watch Barney.  I also won't allow them to watch South Park.  They've never asked to watch it, that's just a precautionary measure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)