Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think that you can truly be happy if you have to remember to be happy?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM
  • 17 Replies

by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Andrews
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I'm not sure.

HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Can you explain a little more what you mean?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I think our attitudes are habitual to some extent. If you practice being thankful for the little things at first it's hard to be grateful for the fresh bananas when you live in Ohio. Or the over abundance of clothes I have. But eventually being grateful is habit!

My focus isn't on being happy, for that can come and go. But with being content, grateful and joyful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think that we should strive for "happiness" in our lives because happiness is an emotion and emotions fluctuate, we should strive to have joy. Joy is more than just an emotion, it is a way of life, a contentment with life, and IN joy we find happiness. Does that answer your question at all? LOL  

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I was confused on how to answer this question but I really like your reply.  That's pretty much how I see it.

Quoting Harris06:

I don't think that we should strive for "happiness" in our lives because happiness is an emotion and emotions fluctuate, we should strive to have joy. Joy is more than just an emotion, it is a way of life, a contentment with life, and IN joy we find happiness. Does that answer your question at all? LOL  

KymberleeAnn
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

This is not answering my question at all LOL... But thanks for sharing. The question was not about striving for happiness the question was do you think you can be truly happy if you have to remember to be happy?

Quoting 4kidz916:

I was confused on how to answer this question but I really like your reply.  That's pretty much how I see it.

Quoting Harris06:

HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Yes, like I said earlier then our attitude can often be habitual. If you get in the habit of being happy it will be easier to be happy than grouchy.

But the root of happiness is really joy and contentment :-)

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

This is not answering my question at all LOL... But thanks for sharing. The question was not about striving for happiness the question was do you think you can be truly happy if you have to remember to be happy?

Quoting 4kidz916:

Quoting Harris06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I agree but can you really be happy if you have to remember to be happy?

Quoting HamBergerMama:

Yes, like I said earlier then our attitude can often be habitual. If you get in the habit of being happy it will be easier to be happy than grouchy.

But the root of happiness is really joy and contentment :-)

Quoting KymberleeAnn:

Quoting 4kidz916:

Quoting Harris06:

PinkParadox
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM

The question is relative.  But, "remembering" to be happy is equal to faking happiness.  Happiness, contentment...whatever you want to call it...it's a state of mind.  If you have to tell yourself to be happy, if it's something you need to add to a list of things to remember, than there is an underlying issue.  You're not creating happiness or contentment, you're putting a band aid on a bigger problem.  JMO

PerfectVirgo
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I have to be reminded that no matter what I may feel at the moment, my life is full, my family is healthy, my job is awesome and if I can take a moment to breathe, my happiness will return.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN