Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping the Converstation Going

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 30 Replies

Can your daughter come to you to talk about anything? How do you make sure she knows she can?

girl giving flower

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM

My kids know they can come to me with anything.  We've just always had an honest, open relationship and they feel comfortable talking to me about things. 

Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM

My girls are still young but they know that they can come to me. Sometimes all it takes is me stopping what I am doing and sitting down beside her and asking her what she is thinking about.

TurboMom81
I realize that I will never get back to my original weight. I am okay with that. Besides 9 pounds 9 ounces just isn't realistic. ;-) Saw that on a t-shirt and loved it! LOL
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM

They both come up to me and talk to me about ANYTHING! But they are only 7 and 4 right now.

Mrs.Andrews
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM

She's only 3. But I've told her that before. And at this age, she tells me everything an then some.

HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM
She is just 2, but she will come up to me and say "mom, um I need to talk to you". :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I tell her by word and action. When she seems to be upset about something, I remind her that I'm there when she needs to talk, and when she comes to me and starts talking, I listen. I try to stop what I'm doing, and give her my full attention. If that's not possible to stop what I'm doing, I explain, and tell her how long it will be till I can stop . Then I make sure I go to her at that time. I try to echo back what she's saying, to make sure I'm understanding what she's saying. Sometimes she just needs a sounding board, and really doesn't want my advice, so I don't give it unless she asks. I let her do most of the talking, and I try to say what it seems her feeling are. Like I might say, "It sounds like that made you angry", or ask a question like "how did it make you feel when that happened". I try to get her to talk about how she feels about things. I try not to be judgemental. I want her to feel she can come to me about anything and I'll understand and try to help her.

Bmat
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Yes for sure.  I hadn't thought about making sure that she knows it, though. I need to work on that.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Yep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Yes.  She is already very open with me.  I make sure she knows she can by telling her often that she can always come to me.

goddess99
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Yes, My dd talks to me about everything even if I don't wana know lol. I have always told her she can come to me for anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)