Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overcome difficulties?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM
  • 11 Replies
The other post (don't fit in...) got me thinking about my sister and dyslexia.

She was treated by her peers as if she was stupid, because she had lots if problems with reading. I am thankful that we were homeschooled because she would have been in special Ed otherwise and that would have destroyed her!

Anyway, once she learned more about how she learned and embraced it her confidence level went through the roof!

So, have you, your daughter or someone close to you had to overcome a difficulty?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Hmm...not that I can think of...

Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Oh, duh! My mom! She had a stroke when she was 10 and it left the left side of her body essentially paralyzed for a while. She had to relearn how to use her left hand, walk, everything. She still walks with a limp and can use her left hand but not easily. She has had a lot to overcome over the years. I'll say this though, my mom can probably outrun you, to this day. She never let it stop her and she retaught herself and pushed herself until she was the best at anything she did.

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Wow! That's pretty amazing, and the fact you didn't think of her right away shows she really has overcome and not let it hold her back! Awesome!

Quoting Harris06:

Oh, duh! My mom! She had a stroke when she was 10 and it left the left side of her body essentially paralyzed for a while. She had to relearn how to use her left hand, walk, everything. She still walks with a limp and can use her left hand but not easily. She has had a lot to overcome over the years. I'll say this though, my mom can probably outrun you, to this day. She never let it stop her and she retaught herself and pushed herself until she was the best at anything she did.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:16 AM

She really has, it is pretty incredible. :) Growing up I never even thought anything of it, not that I think of it anymore, obviously..haha, but it was years before I even really noticed anything "different".

Quoting HamBergerMama:

Wow! That's pretty amazing, and the fact you didn't think of her right away shows she really has overcome and not let it hold her back! Awesome!

Quoting Harris06:

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Hannah, my 9 yo, has overcome her form of dyslexia.  She still struggles with reading and spelling but her confidence is up.  I praise her constantly and she has a wonderful teacher that praises her as well.  And while this teacher understands her difficulties and helps her tremendously, she still makes sure that Hannah strives to do her absolute best.  Her third grade year was the hardest since there was a student in the class that made a lot of rude comments about how she couldn't read and that she should still be in 2nd grade.  It was an awful year that destroyed her confidence. 

KaylaMillar
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM
I'm sure they have but I honestly can't think of anything right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAMandy
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM
My 13 yr old has ADHD and Bipolar. The ADHD stimulants make the bipolar worse. So while we still struggle with the bipolar (all mood stabilizers make her suffer with side effects), she has worked really hard on developing compensatory skills to help with the ADHD. Eg doodling while listening in the classroom helps her focus. We can't tell her what WILL work for her so she, since she was little and with our help, has developed little tricks to help her compensate. Until she hit Gr8, she was a straight A student, she's doing a modelling course and we couldn't be prouder of her.
Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I had to overcome being bullied by my classmates because I "walk funny".  This is because I had surgery on my Achilles Tendon when I was 3 to have it attached.  It hadn't been attached before my surgery. 

My 11 year old daughter has to overcome being bullied because she is ADHD and bipolar.  She doesn't have any friends because of those issues and gets bullied mercilessly every day.  :(

slw123
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Nothing is jumping out at me at the moment.

Mrs.Andrews
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:40 AM

There have been many difficulties but not disability. 

Well I guess I take that back a little bit. I started losing my eye sight when I was 18 and found out a few weeks before my first daughter was born (when I was 23) that it was due to keratoconus, a deterioration of my corneas. I will continue to lose sight until it is bad enough to get a corneal transplant or implant in both eyes. So I have had to learn how to deal with pain and increasing loss of sight in the last 8 years. Quite frankly it sucks. It is also hereditary so I worry that my girls will have to deal with it. If they do, at least I will know about it and be able to get them help quickly instead of taking so long and causing the deterioration to get worse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN