Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does a name matter?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM
  • 27 Replies
I am very into name meanings, I was randomly wondering if names affect a girls/woman's confidence as an adult.

For instance how do you think Apple will be affected by her name?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
Merry Giftmas!
Today at 11:08 AM
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:31 PM

For me, it does. That's why I named DD Lucidia.

slightlyperfect

HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:54 PM

It matters to me as well, thats why Kalea has the name she does. It means "Beloved". =)

Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I don't know, I think that it can. I do pay attention to meanings though when I pick out names.

Mrs.Andrews
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Studies have shown that a name does matter when it comes to getting jobs and being successful in life. People with ethnic sounding names tend to not graduate from high school, not go to college, not have good jobs, etc.

I think a name is VERY important. 

KaylaMillar
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM
It's very important to me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TurboMom81
Luke 2:10-11: And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
Yesterday at 3:02 PM
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I put a lot of into the meaning of names.

Hikari for example, is Japanese for light.  I found this quote in a book I read.

"Hikari. In the presence of light there can be no darkness."

That is my daughter!

MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not as concerned about the name meaning as I am about it fitting the child and being a name she likes. My daughter is Maddie Laine and her name (and nickname LuLu) definitely fit her and beyond that she likes her name. I think it would be awful to hate your name since it is such a significant part of your identity.
heather4511
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I picked a name that i liked, and then checked the meaning. If the meaning was silly i would look for a different name. Also, i was 16 when i had my daughter so i really didnt think about those things as much. Now with my son, i looked more in to meanings, though in the end i went with names i liked. and when i was in elementary school, kids probably would have been made fun of if they had the name apple. Im sure there are some kinds of snarky jokes that could go with it.

AzariahsMother
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

For me I picked a name that had a meaning because it was more important to me, however I don't think it will affect her as an adult. 

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I think a name is very important.  It denotes who you are from the moment you are named at birth or pre birth.   

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN