Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am very into name meanings, I was randomly wondering if names affect a girls/woman's confidence as an adult.

For instance how do you think Apple will be affected by her name?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
MommaTate
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I think it can make a difference in a child's self-confidence. I was very careful to make sure each of my kids' names had something special about them.

DH always wanted a little sister (he has two brothers) and he always loved the name Jessica. Since he never got a little sister, he wanted to name his daughter Jessica. This was decided way before he and I ever met and I knew it meant a lot to him, but I wanted her name to be unique so I spelled it with an "H" on the end. Jessicah's always loved her name and said that it makes her feel unique that her name is spelled unique. Even when she was little and someone with ask her what her name is she would say, "Jessicah, with an H". She also has my middle name, Dawn.

My oldest son's middle name, is my dad's first name and my youngest son was named after his daddy and his grandpa.

mamivon2
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Maybe,.. I personally would never name my child Rhonda. (nothing against anyone on here with that name) but I know two Rhondas (one is my sil) and the other my neighbors ex.. they both pill popping, drug addicts who have bipolar..

dusky_rose
by Sue on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I'm into name meanings too, but not everyone is. So it might not affect them if they don't care what it means.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

saraface5383
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM
I think so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Name meanings matter to me. I named my son Nathan, not only because I love the name, but because it means "gift from God". I had 2 miscarriages before him so it meant a ton to me to name him that.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I did not put much thought into the meaning of their names. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I think it does,how can you feel confidant if your embaressed by your own name. I feel like it is tied to your identity.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM
I don't know. I like my name a lot. I hope my kids feel the same about theirs.
Bob192
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I think it depends on how she is raised.

slw123
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I've honestly never given it a lot of thought.  I picked a name that I liked and wasn't silly, if she grows up and decides she doesn't like it she can always fall back on her middle name.  Her name is Rylie Paige.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)