Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What i want my daughter to remember

Posted by   + Show Post

I am just finally starting to live by this, and i also hope my daughter has high expectations..

YES!

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
.Angelica.
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM

tfs

Mrs.Andrews
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I so don't agree with this. Too many people ruin and leave great relationships thinking that the mad passionate love is out there and thinking that what they have isn't good enough. I would much rather have this secure, affectionate, REAL love, then the fake passion crap that ends as fast as it begins.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM
These are great, thanks
slw123
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I love it!!

BabyTeki
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Wow very well said. I hope I can remember this for when I might have to have a talk with my children

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Well, think about it. You say "Be yourself," "Be you," "Be true to yourself," "Follow your heart"--What are these statements, really? They're shallow platitudes. They've become so overused they mean nothing. They're vacuous concepts, especially for children because they have only begun constructing their identities. At this point, they don't really know what the "you" in those statements even means.

Try being more specific. I would say something like, "Well, if people make fun of you because of your last name, tell me... Why do you care? Who are they to you? And what does your last name, which is pretty awesome, rhyming with turkey mean anyway? Lots of words rhyme with turkey. Why is someone rhyming your name with turkey important? You're not a turkey, so who cares? They're not making any sense! They might as well sing Adam Sandler's Thanksgiving song, and it would make about as much sense."

Kids (and adults) get super sensitive when truth is used against them. Kids, who really can't differentiate truth from fiction at that age, tend to wonder whether what the kids are saying is actually true, and since kids tend to defer to others when forming opinions, it's important to stop that nonsense when it comes to bullies. So if you show her there is no truth in the statements made about her, she's less likely to care. You have to figure out why she even cares about those kids in the first place. I think that could help.

Now, if there is truth to the statements (like a kid is called "fat" and he is actually overweight) then you have to figure out how to rectify that, but it's usually done in the same way, just that weight, disability, color--none of these define who a person actually is--character does.

Quoting sakpoints:

Love them all, and seriously considering making a couple into posters for her wall.  I am always telling her to be herself, and not believe mean things other people say.  It is rather hard when she is 7 and our last name rhymes with turkey.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM

So true.

mrswillie
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:35 AM

True

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I'm going to share this with my oldest daughter.  Thanks.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Very good.

Samanthamommy
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Nice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)