Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Accountability

TurboMom81
Just finished watching "Heaven is for Real" What a sweet, beautiful movie!
Yesterday at 1:18 AM
Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:26 AM
  • 14 Replies

What are some things you do to keep yourself accountable?

Do have a set goals? deadlines?

Do you have a partner who helps keep you in check?

Do you make public statements about your goals?

Do you journal about it? Blog?

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Harris06
by Megan on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband is very good at keeping me accountable, as it should be, IMO. For myself I just always have the goal in front of me and push for it. I try not to say too much about things until they are in place because I don't want anyone to place time limits for me. Like, I plan on going back and getting my Masters and Doctorate after my children are a bit older and I have time to fully give it my whole attention (like while they are in school or whatnot), well, my FIL got wind of that information and all I heard for years was "when are you going back? You should go back. Don't wait too long." EVERY SINGLE TIME HE CALLED. It got old and honestly began to piss me off. I finally told him, "look, I have 3 degrees as it is, these other two are things that I just want for me...to say I did it...but right now raising my children is a whole lot more important to me than getting another degree." That pretty much shut him up. haha 

And, yes, I blog but, like I said, I don't blog too much about my long term goals or anything.

KaylaMillar
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a daily walk with Christ and i know I'm accountable for everything I do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TurboMom81
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I applaud you for wanting to get your Doctorate.  I plan on getting my Bachelor's and Master's in Nursing once my girls are both in school FT.  I could not do the Doctorate, that 100 page dissertation scares the crap out of me. LOL

Quoting Harris06:

My husband is very good at keeping me accountable, as it should be, IMO. For myself I just always have the goal in front of me and push for it. I try not to say too much about things until they are in place because I don't want anyone to place time limits for me. Like, I plan on going back and getting my Masters and Doctorate after my children are a bit older and I have time to fully give it my whole attention (like while they are in school or whatnot), well, my FIL got wind of that information and all I heard for years was "when are you going back? You should go back. Don't wait too long." EVERY SINGLE TIME HE CALLED. It got old and honestly began to piss me off. I finally told him, "look, I have 3 degrees as it is, these other two are things that I just want for me...to say I did it...but right now raising my children is a whole lot more important to me than getting another degree." That pretty much shut him up. haha 

And, yes, I blog but, like I said, I don't blog too much about my long term goals or anything.

TurboMom81
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Amen to that!

Quoting KaylaMillar:

I have a daily walk with Christ and i know I'm accountable for everything I do!

TurboMom81
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I found this Accountability Contract that I plan to sign and post somewhere where everyone who comes into my home can see it!

I,                , hereby agree and commit to take the following steps to improve my accountability to myself and increase my chances for weight loss success:

1. I will not let one small slip-up convince me that I'm stupid, worthless, or a lost cause. I will respect myself by refusing to engage in verbal self-abuse, and I will find positive ways to comfort and support myself when I’m having a hard time. Specifically, I will… (Make a list of concrete things you will do instead of beating up on yourself or deciding your problems are too big to handle.) 

2. I will not sacrifice my own needs to make other people happy, or do for them what they can and should be doing for themselves. When there is a conflict between my exercise and eating plans and what other people want me to do, I will negotiate to find a reasonable solution that allows me to do what I need to do for myself.

3. I choose to be in charge of my own decisions and behavior. I will not talk, think, or act as if my partner, child, spouse, cravings, or subconscious made me do it. I will ask myself what’s most important to me at that moment and make my decision. If I don’t like the consequences, I will try something different the next time.

Mrs.Andrews
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:51 AM

This is good to think about. I don't do anything and it shows! I want my husband to help but he usually doesn't or he pisses me off in how he goes about it so I get all stubborn and do it anyway.

LOswald0314
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:24 AM

I set goals and mostly reach them.

mrswillie
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Dh &I together help each other reach our joint goals, but also our personal goals.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I have goals and I usually meet them.  

heather4511
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:06 AM
My kids keep me accountable because I don't want to be like my parents. I want better for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)