Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you get your first period?

What happened (besides the obvious)?

How did you react? How did your parents and other important people in your life react?

How did you feel?

What do you hope will be your daughter's experience? (Or, if your daughter already got her period, how did it go?)

slightlyperfect

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Replies (11-15):
heather4511
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM
I was in seventh grade ans I woke up one morning feeling off. I ended up throwing up in garbage can in the school office. Mom picked me up, and when I wiped after using the bathroom I saw blood. So mom picked me up some pads and let me stay home from school for two days.

I dread the day when my daughter gets her period. But I think I have some time yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I was 14. I didn't have girl friends my age. I had a guy friend I always hung out with and my siblings. I usually watched them all during the day while my parents worked. One day we were playing outside in the woods and I kept feeling like I had an upset stomach and needed to have diarrhea.

A little back story. I have IBS so I felt like that often. And I had always had stomach problems as a kid so my Mom had assumed I could be getting ready to start for like 5 years and was always telling me that.

Anyway, I kept going in to the bathroom and nothing made me feel better. Finally I went in and there was blood. I knew exactly what was going on, put on a pad, and went back to playing. I felt really self conscious and weird about it though. 

I have PCOS and my periods are usually really heavy and 8 days long. I get cysts regularly and am just about as miserable as I worried I would be. But I'm able to leave the house so it's ok. 

I hope my daughters don't have PCOS. I hope they don't leak when they start or or have it be embaressing. And I hope they can be comfortable with however they want to deal with it.

When my Mom got home I told her I wanted to talk to her and told her I had started. Akward!

I started having BAD cramps and felt very uncomfortable with the flow and pads. So I tried tampons which hurt. I think I cried for the next week because I thought my life was over and I would always be this miserable and never able to leave the house while on my period again. My Mom did the math and explained how much of my high school years I would spend on my period. 

uriahadel
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM
I was seven and in school. Went to the bathroom and saw blood. I tried to hide it cause I was embarrassed and didn't know what was going on. I threw my underwear away, but the teacher noticed and called the police... I went to the hospital and was hospitalized for 8 days, appearantly something else was wrong as well... I had a lot of people in my face asking about what happened to me... they discovered that I had been repeatedly raped, but I refused to talk...

My girls know that mommy's bleed and they know it is normal and they know one day they will and they know when they do, then they are to tell me... my kids are only six and two so haven't decided how I am going to handle that just yet... will probably do something nice for them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sakpoints
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I was 12 and playing golf with my dad and some of his friends.  Thank goodness my mom had talked to me so I didn't freak out.  I made a 'pad' out of a bunch of toilet paper in the nearest port a potty on the golf course and kept playing.  My poor mom felt worse than I did when I got home.  DD is only 7 but I plan on educating her so she is hopefully not scared when the time comes.

KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I got up I had blood on my bed I was 12 years old.  Therefore, I took my bath, put some toilet paper between my legs, and went to school.  

When I got home my mother had a cake made for me balloons everywhere, and was hugging and kissing me there was a bag of Kotex on my bed with a card full of money, I laughed and my mother said baby, why didn't you tell me, you went to school without telling me that you started your period, you were so brave she said and proceeded to hug me.  

She said while I was washing the sheets today I noticed the blood on your sheets, and then she hugged me again, kissed me, and said "my baby has become a woman today." 

My mommy then got me all dressed up and dolled up and took me around to all our family and friends and they made such a big deal about it.  They gave me gifts and money.

I never thought much about it but after all that excitement I felt proud and wanted to be responsible with my body, because I got the big birds and bees talk that evening from my momma and daddy.  I now knew that I could get pregnant and understood the importance of taking good care of my body.

Of course I had cramp but I was a pretty strong little girl so I went to school cramps and all.  However, when my mommy asked me if I had pain and I told her yes, she hugged, and kissed me then gave me some Tylenol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN