Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A great message to our girls

Posted by   + Show Post

I saw this on GMA this morning and thought it was a great message for our girls and have posted it in another group already. It definitely needs to be shared.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Replies (21-30):
SlightlyPerfect
A party every day this weekend. I can't wait for fall and a freed-up calendar.
Today at 9:24 AM
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:03 AM

What point did this guy have? What did it contribute? What did it produce? Or was it just some platitude that he was capable of turning into passive-aggressive, back-handed slaps?

The thing is, this guy didn't do anything constructive or productive, which renders any "point" he may have had invalid. (Plus, we all know it's "not ok to be fat," so I'm not sure how valid his point even was.)

The one thing I can appreciate about this segment is that it wasn't a "be fat, be proud" soapbox even though they certainly walked the line. One of my concerns with it is that a grown woman gave a shit about this email from an obviously stupid person. Actually, that's the primary reason why I disliked this segment.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

You know, I can appreciate both sides of this. I commend her for standing up. But the guy makes a good point. Not that he had ANY right to do what he did, nor was it ok. How come we as a society are so against the skinny unhealthy role models right now but not the fat ones? Shows like drop dead diva and others who portray the over weight person as the role model are just as bad. It isn't ok or good to be fat. It's just as bad as being skinny. And in some ways as bad as smoking and doing some drugs. It does just as much damage to your body. 

slightlyperfect

TurboMom81
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:29 AM
You can't use Drop Diva as an example. Brooke Elliot is a healthy woman who works out with a personal trainer. Just because she is not as tiny as her fellow co workers does not make her any less unhealthy or a poor role model. The whole purpose of the Dove beauty campaign is that women come in all shapes and sizes.
The reporter admitted she was obese, she did NOT say that it was okay. What she said was that bullying her because of it was not okay. That is a great message to share with our daughters.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

You know, I can appreciate both sides of this. I commend her for standing up. But the guy makes a good point. Not that he had ANY right to do what he did, nor was it ok. How come we as a society are so against the skinny unhealthy role models right now but not the fat ones? Shows like drop dead diva and others who portray the over weight person as the role model are just as bad. It isn't ok or good to be fat. It's just as bad as being skinny. And in some ways as bad as smoking and doing some drugs. It does just as much damage to your body. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I agree.  The email message was definitly written in a bullying, I'm going to make you feel bad about yourself way.  If the person writing the email would have stated that he noticed she was overweight, was concerned for her health, and offered her help with diet and exercise it would be a totally different matter. 

Quoting TurboMom81:

You can't use Drop Diva as an example. Brooke Elliot is a healthy woman who works out with a personal trainer. Just because she is not as tiny as her fellow co workers does not make her any less unhealthy or a poor role model. The whole purpose of the Dove beauty campaign is that women come in all shapes and sizes.
The reporter admitted she was obese, she did NOT say that it was okay. What she said was that bullying her because of it was not okay. That is a great message to share with our daughters.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

TurboMom81
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM

There are definitely more tactful weighs to go about it.  Have or friend our loved one who is overweight and at risk for health issues, instead of telling them they fat and need to do something about it, invite them to do something WITH you. Invite them on a hike or bring them with you as a guest to the gym.  Being grossly overweight is just as unhealthy as being grossly underweight, no arguement there, 2 years ago I was morbidly obesed and my health was greatly impacted, I had heel pain, back issues, and was extremely tired all the time.  50 pounds later, I no longer have those aches and pains. Nobody told me I needed to lose weight, I came to that conclusion on my own.  I feel that is what contributed to my success.  The real kicker, a lot of my obese friends are now doing the same!  I set an example.

Quoting 4kidz916:

I agree.  The email message was definitly written in a bullying, I'm going to make you feel bad about yourself way.  If the person writing the email would have stated that he noticed she was overweight, was concerned for her health, and offered her help with diet and exercise it would be a totally different matter. 

Quoting TurboMom81:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:03 AM

That's awesome.  Congrats on the weight loss and for being a great example!!

Quoting TurboMom81:

There are definitely more tactful weighs to go about it.  Have or friend our loved one who is overweight and at risk for health issues, instead of telling them they fat and need to do something about it, invite them to do something WITH you. Invite them on a hike or bring them with you as a guest to the gym.  Being grossly overweight is just as unhealthy as being grossly underweight, no arguement there, 2 years ago I was morbidly obesed and my health was greatly impacted, I had heel pain, back issues, and was extremely tired all the time.  50 pounds later, I no longer have those aches and pains. Nobody told me I needed to lose weight, I came to that conclusion on my own.  I feel that is what contributed to my success.  The real kicker, a lot of my obese friends are now doing the same!  I set an example.

Quoting 4kidz916:

Quoting TurboMom81:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

TurboMom81
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Thank you! I still have another 30 to go before I get to my goal of 150, but it's a staret.  I just want to be healthy and set a good example for my daughters.  I want them to know that being a size greater than 10 does not equal unhealthy, it's the lifestyle that counts.

Quoting 4kidz916:

That's awesome.  Congrats on the weight loss and for being a great example!!

Quoting TurboMom81:

Quoting 4kidz916:

Quoting TurboMom81:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Love it!

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Mrs.Andrews
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Just because someone works out doesn't make them healthy. She obviously has a lot of fat on her body which isn't healthy. She is the only example I could think of since I don't watch tv much. Yes women come in all shapes and sizes and that's great. But we still have to be careful not to be so against one thing (being too skinny) that we swing too far the other way and allow other unhealthy role models. Just saying, it's something to be careful of.

Quoting TurboMom81:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Mrs.Andrews
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I wasn't giving the guy any validity. He was still very wrong. Just make me think was all. 

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

What point did this guy have? What did it contribute? What did it produce? Or was it just some platitude that he was capable of turning into passive-aggressive, back-handed slaps?

The thing is, this guy didn't do anything constructive or productive, which renders any "point" he may have had invalid. (Plus, we all know it's "not ok to be fat," so I'm not sure how valid his point even was.)

The one thing I can appreciate about this segment is that it wasn't a "be fat, be proud" soapbox even though they certainly walked the line. One of my concerns with it is that a grown woman gave a shit about this email from an obviously stupid person. Actually, that's the primary reason why I disliked this segment.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)