Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A great message to our girls

Posted by   + Show Post

I saw this on GMA this morning and thought it was a great message for our girls and have posted it in another group already. It definitely needs to be shared.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Replies (31-40):
elasmimi
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I saw this too. I am glad she stood up for herself, and I think it sends a powerful message to people on both sides, the overweight and the bullies.

Bob192
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

She handled it in a awesome way and turned it around in a lesson to others!  Good for her!!

on_the_beach
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM
I don't but those are good questions.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Does anyone know why her producer allowed time to be taken up for this, and why her co-worker husband was allowed to make this e-mail public? I know this is local news. I know this is a human-interest story. I also understand the ever-growing issue of bullying and the need to report on that, and I can (somewhat) appreciate the message this reporter is sending, but I don't understand why a producer would allow the fourth wall to come down on his/her news broadcast and put this reporter in this position. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

If I was a producer, I would not put my reporter in that position, even if she begged me. And no way in hell would I let an anchor release a private e-mail on his (personal or professional) FB wall nor the news station's FB wall.

DH and I actually debated this topic last night over dinner. He agrees with most people here and thinks it was professional and acceptable and "good for her for standing up," while I'm pretty much feeling the opposite.

Quoting on_the_beach:

I don't but those are good questions.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Does anyone know why her producer allowed time to be taken up for this, and why her co-worker husband was allowed to make this e-mail public? I know this is local news. I know this is a human-interest story. I also understand the ever-growing issue of bullying and the need to report on that, and I can (somewhat) appreciate the message this reporter is sending, but I don't understand why a producer would allow the fourth wall to come down on his/her news broadcast and put this reporter in this position. 

slightlyperfect

TurboMom81
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I still have to disagree. She looks healthy to me!  Maybe 20-30 pounds overweight.  I think she is a great role model! 

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Just because someone works out doesn't make them healthy. She obviously has a lot of fat on her body which isn't healthy. She is the only example I could think of since I don't watch tv much. Yes women come in all shapes and sizes and that's great. But we still have to be careful not to be so against one thing (being too skinny) that we swing too far the other way and allow other unhealthy role models. Just saying, it's something to be careful of.

Quoting TurboMom81:

You can't use Drop Diva as an example. Brooke Elliot is a healthy woman who works out with a personal trainer. Just because she is not as tiny as her fellow co workers does not make her any less unhealthy or a poor role model. The whole purpose of the Dove beauty campaign is that women come in all shapes and sizes.
The reporter admitted she was obese, she did NOT say that it was okay. What she said was that bullying her because of it was not okay. That is a great message to share with our daughters.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

You know, I can appreciate both sides of this. I commend her for standing up. But the guy makes a good point. Not that he had ANY right to do what he did, nor was it ok. How come we as a society are so against the skinny unhealthy role models right now but not the fat ones? Shows like drop dead diva and others who portray the over weight person as the role model are just as bad. It isn't ok or good to be fat. It's just as bad as being skinny. And in some ways as bad as smoking and doing some drugs. It does just as much damage to your body. 

Mrs.Andrews
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Has she lost weight since the first season? Because she looks a lot smaller here than in the show.

Quoting TurboMom81:

I still have to disagree. She looks healthy to me!  Maybe 20-30 pounds overweight.  I think she is a great role model! 

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Just because someone works out doesn't make them healthy. She obviously has a lot of fat on her body which isn't healthy. She is the only example I could think of since I don't watch tv much. Yes women come in all shapes and sizes and that's great. But we still have to be careful not to be so against one thing (being too skinny) that we swing too far the other way and allow other unhealthy role models. Just saying, it's something to be careful of.

Quoting TurboMom81:

You can't use Drop Diva as an example. Brooke Elliot is a healthy woman who works out with a personal trainer. Just because she is not as tiny as her fellow co workers does not make her any less unhealthy or a poor role model. The whole purpose of the Dove beauty campaign is that women come in all shapes and sizes.
The reporter admitted she was obese, she did NOT say that it was okay. What she said was that bullying her because of it was not okay. That is a great message to share with our daughters.

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

You know, I can appreciate both sides of this. I commend her for standing up. But the guy makes a good point. Not that he had ANY right to do what he did, nor was it ok. How come we as a society are so against the skinny unhealthy role models right now but not the fat ones? Shows like drop dead diva and others who portray the over weight person as the role model are just as bad. It isn't ok or good to be fat. It's just as bad as being skinny. And in some ways as bad as smoking and doing some drugs. It does just as much damage to your body. 

TurboMom81
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM
I think she is. I Love this show! I think it's great and I love how Brooke isn't some tiny woman!

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Has she lost weight since the first season? Because she looks a lot smaller here than in the show.

Quoting TurboMom81:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Quoting TurboMom81:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Thanks for sharing.

BabyTeki
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Good for her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daerca574
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM

fantastic!  thanks for sharing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)