Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child worry about her looks?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM
  • 17 Replies

When did you notice your childs awareness with their looks?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
njmomof3
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM

My daughter told me yesterday that she wants to be skinny.  She's 8.

A few years ago, she started telling me that she wants to pick out her own clothes.  I don't pick out cool enough stuff... so we shop together!

lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:29 AM
My dd is 5. She doesn't seem to care much yet.
aneela
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM

i think once they hit K and school stuff...where they are around other kids...it is possible that it can start happening...i have a friend whose little boy just started K in public school and he wants brand name shoes and shirts to look better...and the kid is 5....

Rushn311
by Cindy on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM

She notices that her teeth stick out and she's been called "buck teeth" before  which breaks my heart. She will get braces eventually but not soon enough.

She worries about lil pimples she  has...thank goodness she doesn't pop them or touch them. She's almost 10.

She wonders why she has  to wea bras and panti liners already. Stuff like that.

A boy did call her fat, and her friend, but I know the kid was just being an a$$. Her friend is not fat and my daughter isn't either. My daughter IS real tall. Almost 5 foot already.

KaylaMillar
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM
My kids are still small so it hasn't really impacted them yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM
My kids are still small so it hasn't really impacted them yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TurboMom81
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:31 AM

not one bit. They are only 7 and 4

heather4511
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM

My daughter is 5 and she worries once in a while about her clothing choices. She will say, "my friends wont like this!" I tell her not to care what they think. 

Eviesmommy
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM

She has just started asking questions like "am I pretty?" She's 6. It kinda breaks my heart that she seems concerned about this so young. I'm trying to find a healthy balance, honestly. I feel like my efforts to lose weight and feel better about myself are rubbing off on her. So I've tried my best to explain to her that I am losing weight to be more healthy, not because of my looks.  I've also tried to stress to her that as long as she continues to be the kind, sweet, caring girl she is now, she will always be pretty because what's inside matters far more than what's outside, contrary to popular belief. 

slw123
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM

My daughter is 9.  She's definitely aware of how she looks, but I don't think she worries about it.  She dresses nice most of the time, at least when it matters, lol.  We tell her all the time that she is beautiful on the inside an out (which she is) and other people tell her how pretty she is.  Thankfully she is more concerned with her studies than her looks though.  Which is really where we want her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)