Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Susette La Flesche Tibbles

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM
  • 8 Replies

Susette La Flesche was born on the Omaha Reservation in Nebraska in the year 1854. Since she was Native American, her name was Inshata Theumba, meaning "bright eyes." She went to a Presbyterian school for an English language education and then continued her education in Elizabeth, New Jersey. After her schooling, she returned to the Omaha Reservation and taught at a school of government.

Soon, Susette became involved in the struggle for justice for her people. She took up the cause of the Ponca tribe, that their lands had been taken and their people had died from that effect. Susette made a tour with the Ponca chief, Standing Bear, lecturing on the unfairness of the actions. This lecturing caused the Dawes General Allotment Act to be passed in 1887.

In 1881, Susettle married Thomas H. Tibbles, who had released the Ponca and established their rights as Native Americans to protect them from further actions. He worked as the editor of the newspaper, Omaha Herald, and they settled down together on the Omaha Reservation. Susette wrote and illustrated stories of Native culture and also anonymously wrote the book Ploughed Under: The Story of an Indian Cheif.

Susette died near Sancroft, Nebraska, on May 26, 1903.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Tfs!
ceciliam
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM

good

daerca574
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM

interesting, thank you!

LOswald0314
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM
TFS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM

TFS

alliesmom112
by Sandy on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM

interesting thanks for sharing these. i always learn something new 

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Good to know! I love history and learning about all these strong women as I post them myself! 

Quoting alliesmom112:

interesting thanks for sharing these. i always learn something new 

JoJoBean8
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM

tfs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)