Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tantrum Alert, Tantrum Alert on aisle 5

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM
  • 6 Replies

You see a young mom with a 3 1/2 y/o having a mind blowing tantrum in the toy store what do you do; Do you try to help the seemingly overwhelmed, inexperienced mom out, or do you look the other way and myob?

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KaylaMillar
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to mind my own buisness. I hate when people give me unwanted advice so i try to respect others. =)

sjk_maybe_mom
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

myob She knows her child best.  That said, I've been known to drop everything and leave a store with my kids if either of them blows up.

iamfreeatlast
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

MYOB.  We have all been there.  Now I have stepped in once.  The mom was crying and the kid was throwing a tantrum and I felt sorry for her.  I just went over and talked to the kid trying to get him to smile or something.  When I walked up and asked what is all the fuss about he looked at me like who are you.  lol  I just talked to him for a second and seen she kinda relaxed and then I went on. 

SlightlyPerfect
Laughing at the results of worthlessness. Now that's a fine birthday present.
Yesterday at 8:50 AM
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd get in there if the mom's behavior seemed to be acting as a catalyst for the kid's misbehavior. Like, if her response was exacerbating the issue, I'd step in to calm the child down and give her a second to get it together.

I'd learned to do that pretty well when I was teaching in an inner-city high school. A lot of the issues between students and teachers could be resolved if the teacher just handled it right. The trick was to figuring out the "right" way. Yeah, we expect a student to respect a teacher, but when he/she doesn't or when he/she is just having an emotional breakdown and not thinking rationally, the teacher has an opportunity there to produce a real teachable moment. That's how I try to handle my 3-year-old.

slightlyperfect

KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I would do the same thing.  I remember once I was on public transportation any my ds had a unexplainable melt down, I got off way before my stop to work in calming my child down so as not to disrupt everyone else's ride.  But I sometime try to help mom's in distress but they seem annoyed by my help so I just do my best to stay out of other peoples business.

Quoting sjk_maybe_mom:

myob She knows her child best.  That said, I've been known to drop everything and leave a store with my kids if either of them blows up.

Reannen8607
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM
I would myob. I don't like it when other people say stuff to me
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)