Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self-Esteem: Say This, Not That

When it comes to self-esteem, what are some things your daughter says that you feel you need to correct? And what do you replace these sayings with?

I don't know if I'm wording this well, but like, I've noticed my DD, who is only 3, will say something like "I can't do it!" and I immediately say, "Yes, you can. You may be having trouble, but you can do it. I know you can. So let's try again. This time say, 'I'm having trouble.'"

So "I can't" becomes "(I know I can but) I'm having trouble."

I also use gender-neutral language, like firefighters and police officers instead of firemen and police men.

What do you do? I'd like this thread to be a running list of examples for us to use with our daughters.

slightlyperfect

by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Replies (11-13):
flowrsgalore
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I need to figure something out for "I'm shy".  She's 4.5 years old & this is something that I really don't want her to use as a crutch  to avoid situations or chances at interacting with adults.

lovinMYtwins07
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM

these wonderful! i have a 6 year old daughter and we are also telling her how beautiful she is.  We also let her know that she can do anything and mommy and daddy will support you. 

MsLogansMommy
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM

when my dd compares herself with another person or tries to compete I tell her the only person she needs to be better than is the person she was yesterday

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN