Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you feel that children should be sheltered from unhappiness?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SlightlyPerfect
Don't let people fool you. Everything they do is by design.
Today at 8:17 AM
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Depends on the source.

slightlyperfect

KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I think an attempt to shelter kids will often build mistrust, kids are not as oblivious as we may think and they often know when something is wrong between mom and dad or any other member of the family.

Attempting to hide that of even shelter children from unhappiness or conflict will teach children to lie, and hide their emotions and they will not deal with their problems in a constrictive manner.

Parents can actively and responsibly deal with their problems, where children can see, this will help children to see that two people can have a disagreement and still love each other.

I believe that truth is very important and that every problem does have a solution, which is indeed to me the better choice then, filling a child's mind with lies and gumdrops.

Then poof!  They grow up, and something goes wrong in their life now their shell shock, and clueless.

lazyd
by Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM

NO!  I think everyone "babies" children too much now a days and they cant handle anything or do anything for themselves.  Everyone, unfortunately, needs to deal with all the disappoints that are part of every day life. 

sakpoints
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

No, it is a natural part of life.  I do not think sheltering children is doing them any favors later in life.  Of course my first instinct is protect DD from any pain or sadness but I realize helping her deal with these is much better for her in the long run,

KymberleeAnn
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

So true. 

Quoting sakpoints:

No, it is a natural part of life.  I do not think sheltering children is doing them any favors later in life.  Of course my first instinct is protect DD from any pain or sadness but I realize helping her deal with these is much better for her in the long run,

MomTiara19
by Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I think until they get into their teens and can handle more.I was mama bear when my kids were smaller.Now that my dd is 13 and my ds 20...I cant shield them anymore.

The thing that has amazed me the most is how resilient and strong my kids are in dealing with adversity and disappointment.

SlightlyPerfect
Don't let people fool you. Everything they do is by design.
Today at 8:17 AM
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Do you attribute that resilience you see in them to their upbringing, or has it just always been a part of them? (You know, the whole nature versus nurture thing.) Little bit of both? Did their upbringing allow for that trait to be cultivated and nurtured? How did you contribute to that as their mom?

Quoting MomTiara19:

I think until they get into their teens and can handle more.I was mama bear when my kids were smaller.Now that my dd is 13 and my ds 20...I cant shield them anymore.

The thing that has amazed me the most is how resilient and strong my kids are in dealing with adversity and disappointment.

slightlyperfect

Reannen8607
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I agree with it depends on the source

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN