Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self Esteem

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM
  • 5 Replies

How much power as a parent do you feel helps with self esteem in your daughters?

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SlightlyPerfect
Ugliness and worthlessness, when combined, will only produce failure.
Today at 10:16 AM
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I think mothers are it. We're the alpha and the omega of self-esteem. We lay the foundation in the early years and then nurture and cultivate it throughout our child's young adulthood. We're the conduit, the filter, the model. It's a huge responsibility, and, I would argue, our primary one as mothers.

I mean, I get the whole nature versus nurture argument, I really do, but we as mothers have the power and the obligation to construct our child's self-esteem in a healthy way. Why have a child if you can't or won't give him/her the tools necessary to succeed? That starts with self-esteem, since it's at the base of every one of our actions.

slightlyperfect

KaylaMillar
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM
I couldn't agree with you more

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I think mothers are it. We're the alpha and the omega of self-esteem. We lay the foundation in the early years and then nurture and cultivate it throughout our child's young adulthood. We're the conduit, the filter, the model. It's a huge responsibility, and, I would argue, our primary one as mothers.

I mean, I get the whole nature versus nurture argument, I really do, but we as mothers have the power and the obligation to construct our child's self-esteem in a healthy way. Why have a child if you can't or won't give him/her the tools necessary to succeed? That starts with self-esteem, since it's at the base of every one of our actions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
captainjack
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I try to boost my daughter up everyday

TurboMom81
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I think parents play a huge role in it.  But I don't think they complete power over it.  The human mind is a mysterious thing and some brains are just wired to think and act a certain way, something a parent has no power over.  This best you can do is love them unconditionally, thet them know that they are loved unconditionally, and that they do not to seek approval from others in order to live a happy life.  It's like that quote from Dr. Suess:

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.”

KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I agree.

Quoting TurboMom81:

I think parents play a huge role in it.  But I don't think they complete power over it.  The human mind is a mysterious thing and some brains are just wired to think and act a certain way, something a parent has no power over.  This best you can do is love them unconditionally, thet them know that they are loved unconditionally, and that they do not to seek approval from others in order to live a happy life.  It's like that quote from Dr. Suess:

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.”

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)