Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can she be fat? Mostly a vent.

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter, who is 10 and just finished 5th grade, was given a physical fitness assessment to bring home on the last day of school.  They said her BMI was 21.2 and that she was at the far top end of the spectrum and overweight!  They suggested she adjust her diet and get more exercise.  REALLY?!?  Have you seen my daughter?  She is a serious martial artist who works out EVERY DAY!  She doesn't ride a bike, doesn't like them. Instead, she runs when other kids ride and she can keep up.  Here is a very recent picture.   Also, I looked online about BMI...18 to 24 is NORMAL.  So, she's right in the middle of where she should be.  I keep wondering if they made some mistake.

I'm actually very angry about it.  I've been overweight all my life, the only time I wasn't was when I starved myself in college.  I work hard to make sure my daugher eats right and doesn't become like me.  I also made sure they have not told my dd she is overweight.  I did discuss the report, to see if she had any other information and she was as confused as I was.  Her martial arts trainer assured us that, as I found online, she is perfectly sized all around.  I'd call and complain or ask what's up, but they are closed up for the summer.

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Replies (11-15):
abra
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM
I was going to say, muscle weighs more then fat. BMI's are extremely generalized. They are, in no way, a good measure of health.

Quoting lalasmama2007:

My niece, who is 12, had the same problem.  She was told by the school nurse that she was overweight and that she needed to get moving and excercise for 3 hours a week.  The kicker was that my niece was already in gymnastics twice a week and cheerleading twice a week, so she was already getting much more excercise than that.  She's all muscle.

slw123
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Don't worry about it, you know she's fine.  But I totally understand why that got you upset.  BMI is complicated because it doesn't take into account muscle mass.

Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
We were told our 10 year was overweight by that same way on the last day of school this year. Our girls actually had a doc appt the same day and our doc said she is just right for her height.

So, schools don't know everything ;)
Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

That is crazy - she looks perfect!

LavenderMom23
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Okay my pedi says according to the numbers my DD is overwieght but then my pedi said, looking at my daughter she is perfectly healthy and would NOT reccomend dieting. And same thing, if I put up a photo, so not fat. Although her classmates used to tease her for being fat and not stick figure thin. What is this world coming to? Please bring back a little curves for our girls!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)