Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you encourage your daughter to be confident with herself and not feel like she always has to follow what others do?

Posted by   + Show Post

Think back to the time when you were your daughter's age.  What did you need from your mom? Are there things you like to do differently for your daughter, especially considering the additional pressures (i.e. media and celebrity images and culture, teasing and cyber bullying) she faces today?  Being able to talk with your daughter about these many different pressures will help her enormously.

How do you encourage your daughter to be confident with herself and not feel like she always has to follow what others do?

teen girl

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (141-144):
Kfdmrw9312
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I can honestly say yes, i do. Prime example, my daughter (she's 10 and a half) came home last week, begging to sign up for the wrestling team, something characteristically boys only, but I called and check, like I thought, they allow both genders to join, so I told her I thought it was a great idea and we signed her up. I told her that night that I was proud of her for being herself, never the dainty, stereotypical girl :-)

Due9
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Really spend time with her and be more caring. Enroll her in activities and support her through it. My mom was not caring and was instead very bossy. I felt like she really didn't care about me. 

Due9
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Haifa is great to watch! I'm surprised someone on here mentioned her because she is definitely not mainstream American.

Quoting romalove:

My daughter has always been very much her own person.  She admires musicians worldwide, and not the typical pop stars we are familiar with.  She "likes" Katy Perry but she "loves" Haifa Webbe (I hope I don't butcher that spelling lol).  She is into a lot of Korean pop music and I took her to a Bigbang concert last year, she loved that.  She is highly sensitive to seeing injustice and prejudices that may escape others, so she will point it out when we are watching television or movies.

Because my daughter is a musician, she loves music television and movies.  Last movie we saw together in the theater was Les Miserable, she saw it twice because she loved it so much.  

I think her choices of being not mainstream are helpful to her in becoming confident, because she can see that she doesn't have to follow the crowd to create her own likes and dislikes and that it's OK to have sensibilities different than others her own age.

juggling

Kelly1776
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Make sure you are confident with yourself is one way:) I think dughters always look up to their mothers and they can sence if you are comfortable with who you are and if you are a strong, confident women she will see that and be proud to be like you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)