Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What have you taught your daughter about the key to happiness?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 109 Replies
2 moms liked this

Everyone wants to be happy. But what is it exactly and how do we get it?  Real happiness comes when you gain a confident sense of yourself.  You are not blocked by negative introspection, you are able to express your own thoughts and opinions, and most importantly, you can fully appreciate the powerful affects that come from having body confidence.

What have you taught your daughter about the key to happiness?

kissing

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acrogodess
by Lissette on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
4 moms liked this

I have told her that she needs to be a leader and not a follower. All following people will do is likely lead her into trouble. I told her that she should be true to herself and not be phony for people to like her. I told her she will never be happy until she is happy with herself. Another person cannot make her happy. Money will not make her happy. I tell her to treat others the way she wants to be treated and not let the negativity of those around her to affect her good behavior.

MZ.B777
by Bobbi on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM

We have both learned a lot from the other ladies posts. We enjoyed participating in the program. My daughter has learned to be happy within herself is the first rule of true happiness to eliminate negativity from around her. We truly enjoyed the program and thanks for letting us post our opinions.

Mrs.Sparkle
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I have told my daughter to always love herself above all else. She has big dreams and knows that on the path to those big dreams she has to believe in herself even when she might have doubt. I have told her that I will never lie to her that life is difficult but that her faith in herself will always pull her through.
KW1280
1 mom liked this
True happiness comes from within. I told her a f she doe good to others she won't live in guilt. I also told her not to participate in hate because that will eat at you and steal your happiness. I truly believe that how you treat others reflect who you are on the inside and will block a persons happiness
Trixi.VonLace
1 mom liked this
Don't let anyone tell her how she should look, that everyone is different and our differences are to be celebrated not shamed. I want her to look at her differences and "flaws" as a blessing not a curse.

We have a few rules with how we allow dd to dress (she is only 13 after all and there do have to be some boundaries) but she is able to express herself with her clothing, hair and make up with no complaints from us. We want her to be comfortable in her own skin, we stress healthy eating which makes her feel good. All in all shes as happy as a moody teen can be haha.
kgmmw
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
To always love herself and not care about what others think.
chattycassie
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I was aware of my hang ups before doing this campaign. That being said I did not know all the little remarks landed so hard on my daughter’s ears. I have always been aware of how my daughter and all of my children view themselves; we have had an open conversation since they were born. These conversations went over not only body image, bullying, peer pressure, puberty and sex to name a few. We talk about everything and anything we can think of and I listen to what she has to say, her input is valuable to me. I have learned what my daughter finds beautiful about me, I was surprised that her answers we NOT about looks but about my character and personality, she told me although she finds my beautiful to her eyes it’s the things that touch her heart she LOVES and looks up to most. It was great to see her focus on so many things other than looks. The key to happiness that is a HARD one, I have told her time and time again there is no “key” happiness is found with a number of things starting with liking yourself and who you are.

Rogue35
My daughters know that the key to happiness is love of self and getting a good education. Later that will led to a good job and them getting what they want in life.
jujubear1
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I encourage her to do activities she enjoys, don't let anyone talk her into doing something that she either knows is wrong or just doesn't want to do(unless its cleaning her room haha). Even at 8, she is her own person.
mereinhart28

I have told her that she should be a leader, not a follower. Do what makes her happy not what makes others happy. Be herself, love herself, and keep her head held high. Also, the golden rule...treat others the way you would want to be treated. Everyone is different in their own way and to embrace those differences instead of trying to be the "same". 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)