Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What have you taught your daughter about the key to happiness?

Posted by   + Show Post

Everyone wants to be happy. But what is it exactly and how do we get it?  Real happiness comes when you gain a confident sense of yourself.  You are not blocked by negative introspection, you are able to express your own thoughts and opinions, and most importantly, you can fully appreciate the powerful affects that come from having body confidence.

What have you taught your daughter about the key to happiness?

kissing

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Replies (101-109):
Jillysmom
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:30 PM

follow her heart and do something that makes her happy.

happytiredmom33
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:02 AM

You don't have to have a best friend. It is good to know people with different interests so you have a friend whenever you need one.  So make lots of friends and don't get caught upi in all the girly gossip. 

SlightlyPerfect
When you find "The Interview" online...
Thursday at 9:25 PM
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Who is the idiot? The idiot? Or the one who hangs out with the idiot?

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM
I'm not sure. She's only 3- maybe to just be silly and have fun
la_bella_vita
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Follow your heart : )

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I have told her she has to love herself first.

earthangel1967
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:52 AM

I agree with the op's description  as well as many of the others.

For our 5 kids (3 daughters and 2 sons) who are all young adults on their own now. We were very passionate and encouraging of them expressing their individuality and special uniqueness, their own opinions and feelings even if very different from todds and mine. Their own beliefs, their own styles and lifestyles and choices (we let them make as many of their own choices as age appropriately and safely possible from young age and more and more as they grew ).

We made sure they knew that you do NOT find your  happiness in anyone outside of yourself, ALL your greatest potential for true happiness is already within yourself. It's  in being your most authentic self, following your passions and using your talents and learning skills you need and care about, about the pride of accomplishments big or small or at least knowing you tried. About using your life with purpose to make a positive difference big or small to others and this world however they each feel inspired or are given opportunity to do so they KNOW they are needed and make a difference and really matter. That they are an unconditionally loved and accepted part of our family and are literally savored and cherished and cared about in good times and bad.

That they are WHOLE and complete as they are on their own and no s/o or anyone else even their soulmate ever completes them, a s/o can only enrich or share their whole happiness and life not create it. And that when they do find someone 2 halves come together have weak points where joined together, but two WHOLES come together are forever invincibly connected.

That if you  can't expect someone else to enjoy your company if you arent comfortable with and can enjoy YOUR OWN.

That to help add to their happiness realize 2 people can go thru the same exact experiences in the  same day and one will say it was a good day and one will say it is a bad, that there is good and bad in everyone and in everything and  you get most of what you LOOK for and  focus your attention and energy on, so therefore be treasure hunters for the good because the good is what our 5 kids deserve in  life. To put goodness and happiness for others out into the world, becuase you reap what you sow and  you attract what you project. To look for blessings even disguise and realize that in hard times shadows cant exist without at least a pinhole of light being there so always look for the light and that it is better to light a candle or to BE ONE than to curse the darkness. and that sometimes during those times happiness is literally a CHOICE you make.

That just like you wont find your happiness outside of yourself in others, you wont find true happiness in  anything outside of yourself including material possessions or wealth or fame or prestige either. To remember what will matter most  to you on your deathbed someday, which is the time and memories you spent with  people you care about and those that care  about you and knowing you made a positive difference to someone and live your life accordingly. To not cut yourself down for mistakes you WILL make along the way, just learn from them and vow to do better and be wiser in future because of them, that when life throws difficulties darkness pain suffering or even trauma your way, use it to build your compassion and empathy and resolve to help others suffer less when given opportunity in future to always  try to bring some kind\ of goodness even out of the worst experiences, that makes it so at least your suffering wasnt in vain and blesses you and others later... to always evolve toward light the longer you live.

We are very very proud of our 5 young adult kids because they all have taken these lessons to heart and made them their own.

YVONNE

Alabamachick
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM

She's two. I tell her she is beautiful, I believe it builds confindence. I tell her I love her, I believe it teaches her feelings. I try to teach her rules, which I believe teaches her she has to follow them.. Sometimes it doesn't work like I said she's two..

for more poems by john f connor click link below 
https://www.facebook.com/johnconnor1964

fudgybuddymom
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Hopefully that she provides her own happiness. That it doesn't come from things or a guy. One of her best friends relies on relationships with boys for her happiness & I'm hoping through my own example she(my daughter) sees this is wrong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN