Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Fun Family Meals Anywhere BUT the Dining Room

Cafe AmyB
Yesterday at 11:38 AM
Advice for Moms Group - CafeMom

Share parenting and relationship advice, recipes, baby names and everything from potty training to weight loss tips.

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 12 Replies

8 Fun Family Meals Anywhere BUT the Dining Room

posted by Sarah Bernard

Days are long in the summer and the desire to spend as much time as possible outdoors means dinners can be open for interpretation. Potlucks with friends in the park, a casual family night on the road or on the couch -- family dinners can be had in all sorts of unconventional locations. Here are a few options to make the most of the temperature and the company.

1. The Movies. Bring the clan to a summer blockbuster and make the outing a dinner and a movie in one. Bonus: the AC is usually excellent. Or have a movie showing at home and dine all together on the couch with popcorn as a side dish.

2. The Backyard. I would grill every meal if I could, including breakfast. A picnic table isn't required. Set a blanket on the grass. Or better yet, dine as you rock in a hammock.

3. The Beach. Go all out and build a bonfire with friends or bring a pizza and just enjoy the view. Portable canvas tables with cup holders help solve the problem of sand disturbing the peace.

4. In the Car. Taking a family drive in the evening can feel like a mini road trip. Explore a new neighborhood. See what's down that road you've always been meaning to take. Have an adventure and bring dinner along so no one gets cranky.

5. An Amusement Park. Maybe it's a water park (even better) or a traveling carnival that's in town for a few weeks. Indulge the kids by letting them actually get the corn dog, funnel cakes, etc., that they want, and indulge them further by eating it, too.

6. The Ball Park. The big leagues or the little leagues. Is there anything better than dinner while watching the great American pastime? Somehow the aura of a ballgame makes everything -- even a soggy pretzel -- taste good.

7. On a Boat. From a sailboat to a ferry ride to a canoe ... taking in the sunset and a meal on the water is truly one of life's summer pleasures.

8. In Bed. Kids stay up later, they eat more ice cream than normal ... it's the season to break the rules a bit. My kids love to have "picnics" in bed. We bring a blanket and spread it on top of the covers, and they feel the mischievous thrill of doing something they wouldn't normally be allowed to do.

Do you have a favorite place to eat dinner in the summer?

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brownhoney21
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM

No.

JennaBea
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM
good ideas :)
meam4444
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I love meals in the car!!!  I tend to do them with the kids when DH is working late, and I know I will be pulling out my hair anywhere else!

kidlover2
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM
We have a huge balcony that we love to dine on in the evening with our patio lights for a little ambience.
embrigmom
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM

We do meals in the car when we go to the drive in movies. We go pick up a dinner get parked in a spot at our screen (our local one has 4). Dh folds down the backseats in our car and the girls have plenty of room to eat and play and we all enjoy our dinner.

Sisteract
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM

We live by the beach, but never eat there---sand...

We generally always eat in the dining room-

mrswillie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

We do not allow food in the bedrooms. lol

mrswillie
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Quoting kidlover2:

We have a huge balcony that we love to dine on in the evening with our patio lights for a little ambience.
SOunds really nice.

Hottmomma607
by Hottie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM

No not really!

sukainah
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM
The kids love to eat in the backyard or at a park.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN