Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Tips for Piercing Your Child's Ears Without the Drama

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 7 Replies

5 Tips for Piercing Your Child's Ears Without the Drama

posted by Jeanne Sager 

getting ears piercedI still remember when I got my ears pierced. I was 7, and I cried like an over-sized baby. It was such a disaster that I very nearly walked around with just one ear pierced for the rest of my life. Needless to say, this was the memory dancing around my head when we took our 8-year-old daughter to the pediatrician recently to get her ears pierced.

I shouldn't have been worried. My daughter's ear piercing elicited a few tears, but by and large, it was drama-free ... the very opposite of my first time (yes, I recovered and went back at 16 for another set of holes).

So how did we do it? How did we manage to make this major milestone a happy moment instead of the sobfest it could be?

Careful planning! I'd like to say it was all just pure dumb luck that kept her from throwing a fit, but nope ... my husband and I put a lot into making sure big moment went smoothly.

But hey, it paid off! We're more than a week in, and she's still over the moon that we let her get her ears pierced, and they're looking healthy.

Have you let your child get her ears pierced yet? What are your tips to make it go smoothly?

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
inmybizz
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM

My daughter is almost 9 and still has no desire to get her ears pierced. I have no tips..LOL!!

lalasmama2007
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM

My dd is 6 and her ears are not pierced.  We are leaving that decision up to her.  It's her body...her choice.

Hottmomma607
by Hottie on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM

We did hers when she was baby!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Mine is nine too and feels the same way!

Quoting inmybizz:

My daughter is almost 9 and still has no desire to get her ears pierced. I have no tips..LOL!!

slw123
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I did my daughters while she was a baby.  No fuss, no drama, no problems.

abra
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM
My daughters are 7 and 4. So far, they have no desire to get their ears pierced, but they may whenever they want to. We will be taking them to a clean piercing/tattoo studio to get their ears pierced. Using a hollow needle is not only more sterile, it is also less traumatic to the ear and less painful then using a piercing gun.
Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Two of our daughters show no interest, and the other two do. Our rule is you have to be old enough to clean your ears yourself before you can get them pierced. The two that want them are 14 and 11.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)