Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Great Are Your Girls? Tell Them!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies

I think that a person's self-esteem and a strong, positive sense of self grow largely from knowing, deep down, that they are good people, that they are loved, and that they are respected and admired for their qualities, thoughts, individuality and personality. In addition to loving, admiring and respecting your daughters, teach them to love who they are, and help them to see all their own positive attributes by pointing them out to them, often, so that they have many great reasons to feel good about themselves, and to become self-confident. Remind your daughters of all their achievements, big and small, like wining games in sports, being a great friend or team player, doing well in a certain area of school, or even just overcoming some previous fears or failures and trying new things....

Each of the important milestones and accomplishments in their lives outline who they are and how great they are, but it's easy for a kid to lose sight of their own successes, and to focus instead more on failures and frustrations, which leads to feelings of insecurity and doubt, or even shame or fear, as they grow.

In addition to reminding your girls how great they are, let them overhear you tell others about some impressive or important things they have tried and accomplished, or new things they have learned , or even just how proud you are of their personality traits, their sense of humour, or of responsibility, of the way they are growing and who they are becoming. Even if they are not doing those things all the time, if they overhear you "gossiping" about them, they will know you are sincerely proud and really have noticed their efforts and growth, and it will encourage them tremendously to continue on the right path, and to stay strong and believe in themselves.

What do you point out to your girls to help them gain self-confidence?

© iStockphoto.com/ PLAINVIEW

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

When they do something good I make sure to give them lots of praise! I also tell them how awesome they are all the time lol :)

AlannaMaria
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I praise my daughter for her good behavior, helping out around the house. I tell her how pretty she is and how talented she is. She is a great kid :)
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Lots of praise and hugs!

RobynS
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I make it a point to tell DD she is strong, tough, and smart! :)

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I praise my DD's for many things.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Praise them for each and everything it is how I do DD

dusky_rose
by Sue on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I let them know that I believe in them.

.Angelica.
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

i try not to just focus on positive appearance, but everything about her. she's only 19 months though.

Bob192
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell them how smart they are and I praise them when they are nice to their siblings or others.  Also when they are helpful.

Bmat
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I'll be spending a week with my granddaughter and will be sure to encourage her self-confidence.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN