Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Building Self-Esteem Challenge Day 3: Finding Inner Beauty

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

So many young girls think beauty is only skin deep. To help change the perception that beauty is based on looks, sit with your daughter and identify women in both of your lives whom you admire for qualities that are beautiful both inside and out. Discuss the reasons behind your choices and point out to your daughter examples of her inner beauty.

girl giving flower 

What qualities do you think makes a person beautiful? Do you and your daughter recognize your own inner beauty or is it a struggle?  

Click here to sign up for the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Superficial beauty is something anyone can have. Youthful women are often considered beautiful, but that kind of beauty fades. When you train yourself to truly love others, be kind, humble, joyful and honest, lasting beauty will radiate from the inside out.
Roo1234
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM

we don't usually identify people as "beautfiul"  we talk about their strengths, their talents, their wisdom.  Neither of us has ever denied that beauty exists, we just don't make it the priority of our focus

la_bella_vita
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

True beauty is on the inside. It's being kind and a wonderful person. Some people you just want to be around because of their inner beauty. Focusing on inner beauty makes you feel better about yourself.

eevers55
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think owning up to your choices in life, whether they were mistakes or successes is beautiful. Also learning from those mistakes and making yourself a stronger person for it is something I hope my daughter will do as she grows.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Beauty is not just physical image. Beauty is something from a person's inner self. How they think, how they feel, what they consider to be a positive, what they consider to be negative.
We talk about these qualities more than we talk about beautiful women. I want them to understand that you can not always judge a book by its cover and therefore we can not judge a person by their outer beauty either.
Do I have difficulty "seeing" my inner beauty? Yes
My daughters all seem to "see" theirs a bit better than I do but I am not too sure I want to teach them to focus on themselves that way. I would rather them just learn to be the best them they can be and the other will just be there.
I think we have more self worth when the knowledge of our inner beauty is coming from other's recognition and not from our own recognition.
btherese
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I do point out physical beauty in people, but then, I do tend to think all my lady friends and family are beautiful anyway! My kids know a lot of different, unique people, and we do tend to say, "They are so beautiful!" whether they are conventionally so, or not. So yes, we do see it in others. I don't see mine, haven't in years. I see it in my children, when they do something loving and caring, I tell them. I build that part of them up, but I also tell them they are beautiful and I tell their friends they are too. We know girls who are tomboyish and they don't hear it often, but I will tell them they are gorgeous, and they smile.

MZ.B777
by Bobbi on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM

No struggle with the inner beauty it ia all natural in the both of us.

SlightlyPerfect
Believe me. If you want to do something, you will. Excuses are not reasons.
Today at 8:04 AM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I think beauty is merit-based. Same with ugliness. It's about what you earn, not what you have that you can't control.

goddess99
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I talk to my dd about this often. She goes to a summer camp for special needs kids even though she just has behavioral issues, that are pretty much outgrown. But she is so good with the campers and she loves going. I tell her all the time how compassionate she is, how gentle she is, how helpful she is. All of which I think make her beautiful.

EbonySnow
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Beauty can only come from within. a beautiful personality is far more attractive than outward beauty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)