Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Building Self-Esteem Challenge Day 5: Let Her Be the Teacher!

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 34 Replies

Helping someone learn something new is a good way to boost self esteem and feel pride. Let your daughter teach you a new skill. Try doing a project together like jewelry making, or ask her to show you how to do something you normally wouldn't, like a new dance move or learning some new texting lingo. 

What can your daughter teach you? Do you feel it's rewarding to teach someone something new?

teacher

Click here to sign up for the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM

My daughter teaches me something new everyday. Mostly kindness and how to forgive. She's a very sweet girl. 

eevers55
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM

My daughter is a MUCH better dancer than I am. When we have mommy/daughter dance time, she's constantly showing me how to "be a better dancer." It's a great workout for me and she loves being better at me than something. For Christmas, we're definitely getting some dance dvds so I can improve my skills.
I think it's great for her because I know she looks up to me and to be able to teach someone who is such a role model is a wonderful experience (I know from experience)

Roo1234
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM
one thing my daughter does is every time we go to Saturday morning services she helps me follow along in the audit by pointing out the Hebrew
SlightlyPerfect
Kids are raving nowadays?
Yesterday at 2:31 PM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM

She teaches me every day. It's scary how smart she is.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM
This can be very humbling indeed but very rewarding too. My daughter is so much quicker at math than I am most of the time. I'm just as good but it takes me a little longer to get the same answer she gets. lol. Makes me so proud that she can show me short cuts and teach me her little tricks to doing math. In turn she like to crochet and has some difficulty with it, so I show her how to do it and we have fun sitting there making these crochet chains into goodness knows what but we have fun together and that is the best part.
I think it's awesome if a parent lets their child show them how to do something. It teaches the child that parents can indeed learn something they didn't know, from their own child and the parent realizes that it can be exhilarating learning something their child knows how to do.
It also teaches humility. It's a win-win place to be if you ask me.
la_bella_vita
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:30 PM

My children/daughters teach me daily. yes, I find it very rewarding to teach someone something new!

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Just to be in the moment
earthangel1967
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I've learned so many things from my 5 amazing kids that I often tell them "I hope you have learned even a fraction as much from me as I have learned from you."

Now that they are young adults they are still teaching me stuff, they keep me up with the times so I know what things mean that I might not otherwise and they show me how to use the latest tech and gadget and music things that I'd never figure out if my life depended on it without them. lol

I ask my beautiful daughters for fashion and beauty advice (appropriate to MY age and taste though still.) I love that I can count on them for honest feedback.

And all 5 of my kids from the time they were little all the way thru currently into their young adulthood have repeatedly time and time again stunned me with things that they say that are soooo wise beyond their years. They are all so wise and insightful. Sometimes they just awe me. Like they say "out of the mouths of babes" well thats true with my kids even though those babes have grown up.

YVONNE

earthangel1967
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM

PS by the way Yes I do think it's rewarding  to teach someone something new and that is one reason when I was homeschooling I would let some of the older kids help teach some of the younger kids with a fun hands on lesson or such, some concepts the older ones knew and the  younger ones were just learning. Kids enjoy learning from one another and relate to one another better and it made it more fun, and not only did the younger kids learn well this way but it also reinforced that same learning even deeper and stronger into the older kids and helped them retain it better and make it more meaningful for them to help them retain it longer as well.

YVONNE

kgalvano
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM

yes i do feel that it is rewarding having someone teach u something and that u can learn everyday from someone. i am sure that my children can teach me alot

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)