Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Boys vs. Girls: The Difference Is the Drama

Cafe AmyB
Today at 11:09 AM
Giveaway: "August is Family Fun Month!" Win a $25 Gift Card! - CafeMom

Let's Play....How many words can you make out of the words:August is Family Fun MonthPlease reply with one word at a tim

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM
  • 14 Replies

Raising Boys vs. Girls: The Difference Is the Drama

posted by Jacqueline Burt 

drama queenFrom the beginning of time, parents have tried -- and largely failed -- to put a finger on the precise difference between raising boys and girls. I mean, really, in approximately a billion years of parenting, all we've been able to come up with is some crap about sugar and spice and snails and puppy dog tails. (And then, later on, some other crap about a son being a son being 'til he gets him a wife and a daughter being a daughter all of her life, but really, it's all snails and sugar.)

Well, I certainly don't have a billion years of parenting experience under my belt (and, honestly, I don't like wearing belts), but I do have 12 such years involving a daughter and almost 8 involving a son, and I daresay I've figured out what the main difference is between raising boys and girls: The drama

More from The Stir: 8 Signs You're Raising a Mama's Boy

As in, girls bring the drama and boys do not. Now, there are of course exceptions to this rule -- even my own son has thrown some spectacularly theatrical tantrums in his day -- but by and large, I really think I'm on to something here. Here are a few scenarios from my family's daily life in which the huge differences in my children's reactions demonstrate my point:

1. The Lunch Disaster

Me: "Hey guys, I didn't have a chance to stop at the grocery store yesterday so you'll have to buy lunch at school today."

My son: "Oh, okay."

My daughter: "What?? You know I hate the food at my school, mom. What do you expect me to do, starve? That's fine, whatever, I don't need to eat. I'll just be hungry. And fail my test. Okay?? IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT??"

2. The Bad Vacation News

Me: "Looks like we can't go away for winter break because I have to work, so we'll shoot for spring break instead."

My son: "Aw, that stinks. What's for dinner?"

My daughter: After giving me the silent treatment for two weeks, she puts herself up for adoption on Craigslist. I then find a voodoo doll of myself in her room stuck with knives, as pins apparently won't do the trick.

3. The Laundry Predicament

Me: "Whoops, looks like the clothes I washed last night aren't dry yet -- can you find something else to wear to school today?"

My son: "Sure, yeah, whatever."

My daughter: "WHAT?? There IS nothing else, mom!" (Standing in room strewn with endless amounts of clothing.) "I guess I just can't go to school. Unless you want me to go to school naked. Why do you hate me??"

Any of these scenarios sound like they could've taken place at your house? Or has your parenting experience been the polar opposite?

What do you think the main difference is between raising boys and girls?

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM
What isn't different about them? God created men and women different. Sure, we have some things in common, but every single male on this plant deeply wants to be respected and every single female on this plant wants deeply to be loved. I have two sons and two daughters. Everything about them is consistent with this emphasis on desires.
sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Lol - I don't know but I'm about to find out since baby 2 is a boy
melissa7283
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Boys are easier most definatley !! lol (:
angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Drama 100%!!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM

My kids are night and day, raising a daughter has been so much easier lol.

earthangel1967
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this

toddler boytoddler girlteen boyteen girl

Well I don't like to stereotype anyone in any regard because  I believe everyone is a unique individual but in the article it was at least admitted there are exceptions to every rule so I'm good with that addition.

I can only speak from my own personal experience raising 2 sons now 18 & 26 1/2 and 3 daughters now 20, 21 1/2 and almost 25.

peekingWith OUR sons and daughters, as toddlers and preschoolers and elementary school aged kids the 2 boys were FAR more challenging than all 3 girls put together. They were very mischievous and always doing something for example, the time Jesse squirted a large bottle of body lotion into the crack of all the antique WIDE wooden woodwork around the wall/floor of our very large bathroom and when I asked him why he'd always start with "I dont know" and I'd always say "Yes you do know, you are a smart boy and I know you know so you need to tell me" He said "I was pretending I was caulking" That is just one of an endless supply of examples of the kinds of things the 2 boys seemed to be constantly doing, They were creative though, I'll give them that. But it was frustrating and destructive and draining. The girls played  like "normal children" haha

banging head into wallTHEN everything changed once the 5 of them reached their Tweens thru teens. The boys stopped being hyperactive and mischievous and both of them got really mellowed out and EASY! Ahhhhhh! But wait, don't relax yet... because NOW all 3 girls became overly emotional, overly sensitive and overly dramatic, made mountains out of molehills similar to the examples in the op article. Also one minute the 3 of them were best friends in the world and the next minute they hated eachother. Also the girls were more into dating than our  2 boys were so there was the drama of broken hearts and a week long of sobbing and playing sad songs and  making broken hearted decorated myspace pages etc until they finally felt better and moved on.

group hugBUT I am absolutely thrilled to say that once they all reached young adulthood where they all are now, they ALL were easy and enjoyable and now we are truly reaping the rewards of all our  hard work and sacrifice over the years and its really paid off. We don't get to choose who our  family members are but we DO get to choose who our  friends are and I  am thrilled that we are all still very close knit even though they are all on their own now and consider eachother very dear friends. bouncing

YVONNE

btherese
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Yeah, that's it! Drama! I have two boys, 20 and 17, and when they'd get in an argument, they'd sock each other and be done with it. It used to get me upset, but now that I look back, that was nothing. lol The girls who are almost 10 and 13, they get in each other's face over music, clothing choices, friends. And it's mostly the younger one messing with the older one. I want to pull my hair out sometimes. You know the rest of the hair which hasn't already turned gray nor fallen out already from stress. lol

KymberleeAnn
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I only have boys but I think with a girl they would need way more hugs when they fall and get hurt because they may cry a little longer, well at least that's what I observe when I'm in the park with my children.:)

KellyFlavis
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:36 AM

The only problem about my dd is that she is a very pecky eater, besides that she was a I had no problems whihile she grew up. About my boys, they were very good in everythings else but their studies.

I personally feel that whether you're raising a male or female, there's always more than enough difficulty to go around. So every parent should look for the joy buried in the tough stuff and run with it.

Jessica79
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

LOL Those are so true!

I think my boy can be a bit dramatic, but his drama NOTHING compared to my girls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)