Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Winners Rule

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

Winning feels great, but wining is not something most people think do often (except maybe someone who wins the lottery for life!). Some people feel like they never win at anything which is totally demoralizing and confidence-crushing, but luckily this is not the case, to me at least, because I like to think of winning in a similar way to earning. When you work hard and practice something over and over, you are likely to succeed and earn something, or win something, from your efforts. Looking at it this way, everyone who is alive is winning things every day, pointing these accomplishments out to your kids and helping them realize what great winners they are will give them a real boost of self-confidence now, and bring them strength down the road in hard times, or in times when they might doubt themselves or feel down.

What are things that kids win at everyday, that you can point out to them? Simple things, but simple things that are SO important that they are actually helping to shape your kids' lives, whether they realize it or not, and empowering them in many ways. Things like:

-Winning or earning other people's respect (ranging from peers, to teachers, to siblings, neighbors or parents).

-Captivating or winning other people's positive attention (either from a presentation, a performance, or just from having interesting things to say or helpful information to share.)

-Winning others people's affection and love (from family to peers, or even pets, this is a powerful emotion that no one can live without, yet many take for granted each day)

-Winning at games (be they important like a high school sports, hide and seek with friends, or basic like a family board game. Often, there is luck involved but focus and attention help people win too, as does patience and perseverance which are great skills to develop.)

-Winning over people's mood (this to me, might be the most rewarding: if your daughter's joy, energy, intelligence or spirit brings new life and light to others around her, this is a really powerful thing and one she should be proud of, and gain much self confidence from.)

Pointing out to your daughters all that they have won and earned, and continue to win, through their positive outlook, strength of character, positive influence, dedication, hard work, and attention will help them feel more self aware of the good they bring to the world, and more self-confident because of this.

How do you help your girls recognize what great winners they are?

© iStockphoto.com/barsik

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
A party every day this weekend. I can't wait for fall and a freed-up calendar.
Yesterday at 9:24 AM
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:50 AM

She and I were playing a video game the other day, and she stomped away because I wouldn't let her win. We had a long talk about the difference between a "real win" and a "fake win." (She's 4, BTW.)

TerriC
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

By bringing attention to their good behavior and how it affects others as well as themselves.

goddess99
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM
3 moms liked this

I guess I've never talked to my dd about winning other than in games. Oh and in honesty, last year at my dd's school there was a pumpkin decorating contest and when we brought in her pumpkin, clearly the parents had done many of the others. She was so disappointed but a few weeks later, she won 1st place. So she learned that being honest and doing it yourself does make you a winner.

Mrs.Brugger
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM

We've had a few talks about winning and losing during board games. He used to get upset when we would play CandyLand and I would beat him or even if I was way ahead he would want to stop the game because he felt like he was going to lose. Now he smiles and says "Good game!" even if he loses. Being a good sport is important and we've talked about that too.

la_bella_vita
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

We have had talks about winning and losing. My DD does not like to lose. It's something we are working on. She wants to always be the best she can be and I've told her you can be the best you can be without being first.

sukainah
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I have boys, but my oldest is so shy.  He is in Cub Scouts and we went out and did popcorn sales.  He did so good at telling the people who he was and why he was there.  I was so proud of him for doing that and told him so.

arpazia
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Praise the good... And never say the word fail
matt_sara_mom
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

We have really never talked about it, maybe now should be the time to do so.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

flowers and ballons dinner out

Mom2jngnc
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Haven't crossed this yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)