Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is personal happiness a healthy ultimate goal?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM
  • 22 Replies

Or is there another goal that you think is more important than being happy?

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I think happy/content can ward off so many negative actions or activities that people engage in trying to find happiness.

Jessica79
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I think happiness is a healthy goal - it's hard to be healthy (physically, mentally, and spiritually) if you're not happy.
abra
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I agree. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think happy/content can ward off so many negative actions or activities that people engage in trying to find happiness.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." - GK Chesterton 

abra
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Do you think there should be limits on what is acceptable sacrifices made in attaining that goal? As in, how far should we go in trying to reach our goal?

Quoting Jessica79:

I think happiness is a healthy goal - it's hard to be healthy (physically, mentally, and spiritually) if you're not happy.

SlightlyPerfect
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Yes. I am a firm believer that selfishness should be a moral objective for every person. You cannot have that without self-esteem, and vice versa.

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Me too

Quoting abra:

I agree. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Bambooflute
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM

There is hardly some limits in attaining that goal,I think actually we are doing everything for that in life(making money,spending time with friends and family,doing what we like to do,etc.),so I agree 100 percent,happiness is a healthy ultimate goal people should pursue, in a long term and also everyday.

Quoting abra:

Do you think there should be limits on what is acceptable sacrifices made in attaining that goal? As in, how far should we go in trying to reach our goal?

Quoting Jessica79:

Jessica79
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I would say, so long as my pursuit of happiness doesn't hurt other people or myself (again, physically, mentally, spiritually), than limits would be subjective.

Quoting abra:

Quoting Jessica79:

Jessica79
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I would also like to add that I'm a firm believer that living selflessly and serving God first. It's not always an easy choice -- in our humanity it isn't even always our first choice -- but when we live in a such a way that we put God and others before ourselves it does bring happiness. Maybe not in the way that society would define happiness, but there is beauty in living a life of humility.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I think happiness is a great ultimate goal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)