Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intermittent Explosive disorder. PIOG - Update-

Posted by   + Show Post

They are pretty sure my 6 year old dd has this. I have done a lot of reading on it but I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with this. The meltdowns (that's what we call them) are awful. She has started hurting herself unless I hold her down and I hate doing that. Then she can't remember any of it. She asks me why her head hurts and where the scratches came from.  She has also hurt me a time or two. I would really just like to know if anyone has any suggestions that I might can use to help her through the meltdowns. I don't know what though. She can't hear me, she doesn't really see me, she doesn't really know what I am doing or what she is doing.

I just feel so lost and helpless. She always has a headache and sore throat afterwards from the screaming and fighting. She cries and cries after the meltdowns and tells me she is sorry and doesn't know why she does it. I feel so bad for her.

We got a diagnosis. They said that she does have intermittent explosive disorder and also anxiety. We are going to start with trying to give her anxiety medication when we think she Will be stressed and see if that cuts down on the meltdowns. If that doesn't work we will have to try something else. I want to try and keep from medicating her all the time. We will keep going to counseling and try to learn how to deal with the anxiety and anger. Thank you for your kind words.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Replies (11-17):
earthangel1967
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:25 AM
1 mom liked this

While I personally had never heard of this disorder and have no knowledge of it, I can still relate because of my 5 kids they all had add or adHd which  was nothing compared to the fact that also 3 of them have diagnosed bipolar disorder and 1 has diagnosed paranoid schizophrenia and the poor boy even had full blown very realistic hallucinations that he could hear and see as young as 2 and had reactions that makes us believe even possibly as young as 1 1/2! They would be the most perfect well behaved polite obedient sweet angels and then unexpectedly out of the blue with no warning and no triggers could snap and switch to such severe behavior out of control violent destructive that they literally acted like someone possessed in a movie! My son with schizophenia when he would finally come out of that state would seem almost dazed at first and confused and wouldnt remember  what he just did and then slowly he'd start to remember and because he IS truly a very good boy he would cry and say WHY did I do that, I must be bad I must be evil, I wish god could erase me and start me all over, I wish I was a vcr tape (he was a kid in the  90s) and you could rewind  me and  he'd cry and cry because he felt bad, but it would happen over and over. There were incidences so severe that both boys had to taken by ambulance in restraints and hospitalized in pediatric pyschiatric unit for up to one month so they could get them properly balanced. (they were very kind and compassionate there and my boys liked it because they knew  they were helping them).

My kids are young adults on their own now and doing well and if it wasnt for the psychiatrists  and medications in their  lives they wouldnt even have a quality life at all! Also both me and my husband are bipolar and I also have anxiety stress disorder  and post traumatic stress disorder and people are shocked to hear we are bipolar bc you cant tell at all but that is ONLY because we see our psychiatrist every 3 months and alwys  will and we take our meds every  single day even when we are doiing well bc the meds balance out our body chemistry and make us our normal healthy selves so it seems like we dont have bipolar at all to us it feels like a miracle literally and I would not have any quality of  life at all without those meds. (I tried things like st johnns wort and kava kava with no effect at all).

Many of these disorders (not sure about your daughters but she should be tested and properly  diagnosed by PSYCHIATrisT NOT  regular family dr. its too complex for even best family dr) anyway for example bipolar and schizophrenia are physical chemical imbalances in the body and the meds correct that imbalance!

Just like one son has disabling asthma and has to take daily meds for that all his life or he will die... no mom would hesitate giving him those meds but for some reason when it comes to psychiatric illness (which like I said are often physical chemical imbalances like diabetes is a sugar insulin imbalance and parents of diabetic children wouldnt hesitate giving their child their diabetes meds!_its no different.)

That same son who wished he could be erased and rewound (when he said that it made me cry bc I felt so bad for him and so helpless at the time)... once they finally got him on the right meds and balanced one day he suddenly burst into tears  for no apparent reason when everything seemed fine, I asked whats wrong and he said "MOM I love my meds I feel happy and I feel like I AM a good boy and not evil and I was so scared I wasn't but now I know I am good and Iam just so happy thank you for helping me mom!" I cried too.

Not telling you what to do, but just giving you another perspective to keep in mind as you move forward in whatever ways YOU feel is best. Good luck.

Also  using a mix of parenting with love and logic books (you can get on amazon) (the psychiatric units use them too) along with a book for kids with things like oppositional defiance disorder etc called The Nurtured Hearts Approach are helpful in raising and appropriately fairly disciplining these special  children. My 5kids grew up  to be amazing adults partly thanks to those books.

I hope this helps. My heart goes out to  you  and your  daughter. I know what it feels like to be in the situation you are in right now. Hang in there.

YVONNE

strictmomhere
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Talk to her Dr about weighted vest it may help hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I have never heard of it.

slw123
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I don't have experience with this, sorry.  I hope you find the help you need.

Sisteract
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM

:(

bunnywzrd
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM

BUMP!

massenburg
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM

wow that is sad. will keep you and daughter in prayer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)