Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Represent all "American Girls"

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:02 AM
  • 0 Replies

Mobile Photo

get notification emails from Change.org, and this one touched me today, because in so many ways it hits rather close to home.

A little girl named Melissa is petitioning American Girl to release a "Girl of the Year" that has a disability. (For those who don't what they are,) American Girl dolls (and the books that tell their stories) are beautiful dolls that represent girls from history and today. There is s historical line, a "Just Like You" customizable line, and a "Girl of the Year" line ("Girls of the Year" are only available for the year they are released). They come in multiple races and from all parts of the US. They are dancers, artists, horseback riders, writers, athletes, activists…etc. Their books tell stories about growing up in their time periods (or today), and overcoming life's obstacles.

Melissa has Muscular Dystrophy, and has petitioned American Girl to release a "Girl of the Year" with a disability. Some of the American Girls' stories have included disabled friends, but never has an American Girl herself been disabled. Melissa makes a point that American Girls should represent every kind of girl overcoming every kind of obstacle.

I think this shows a remarkable amount of responsibility and forward-thinking on her part, and happily signed the petition. In addition to my dd's food allergies, we deal with visual impairment (me) and cerebral palsy (dh). I know my daughter would love to have an American Girl that represents someone truly "just like her" or other people with disabilities.

Here is the link to Melissa's petition:
https://www.change.org/petitions/american-girl-release-an-american-girl-with-a-disability?share_id=PvHnSmQxSH

(Sorry, I'm mobile and can't make it clicky, but it will copy/paste easily into a browser window, and Change.org has a mobile site.)

If y'all could sign the petition, it would be awesome. And I am cross-posting this in some of my other groups, so if you see it again, my apologies.

Thanks!

(Pictured above is my daughter at a sci-fi convention this past weekend with her American Girl (sans glasses, they are stowed away), Molly.)
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)