Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP

Posted by on May. 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM
  • 6 Replies

My dd is 13yrs old & I found out that she has been cutting herself.How can I get her to open up & tell me what is botherong her?

by on May. 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
biomom1437
by Member on May. 21, 2014 at 3:40 PM

firstly i would call ur dd's dr. and see if u can talk to the dr. alone about ur concerns.. maybe ur dd is depressed or maybe she is being bullied.. idk.. but something has obviously changed in her world recently.. i was a cutter.. (sort of) but i used finger nail clipper on my finger knuckels, not a knife on my arm.. but when i got into counsoling after i got home from the hospital, my counsoler said what i was doing was still classified as cutting.. and usually the reason ppl start cutting is bc it is a release of some kind.. cutter often cut in order to get rid of the pain.. i know that sound like a concerdiction.. but from my own experince, when i would clip the skin of my knuckel, so hard that i bleed it felt like i was releasing my pain to somewhere eles.. like to god..

i don't know ur dd's reason 4 cutting.. but she needs help..

CALL HER DR. NOW

Angel267
by Member on May. 21, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Quoting biomom1437:

firstly i would call ur dd's dr. and see if u can talk to the dr. alone about ur concerns.. maybe ur dd is depressed or maybe she is being bullied.. idk.. but something has obviously changed in her world recently.. i was a cutter.. (sort of) but i used finger nail clipper on my finger knuckels, not a knife on my arm.. but when i got into counsoling after i got home from the hospital, my counsoler said what i was doing was still classified as cutting.. and usually the reason ppl start cutting is bc it is a release of some kind.. cutter often cut in order to get rid of the pain.. i know that sound like a concerdiction.. but from my own experince, when i would clip the skin of my knuckel, so hard that i bleed it felt like i was releasing my pain to somewhere eles.. like to god..

i don't know ur dd's reason 4 cutting.. but she needs help..

CALL HER DR. NOW

I have asked her if she would like to see someone & talk to them and She told me if I make her go all she would do is sit there

lazyd
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Don't let your daughter dictate her life like that. My daughter would just tell the counselors what they wanted to her. So what if your daughter just sits there. Trust u me a good therapist will get kids to open up eventually. It took us many different therapist to finally find the right one. My daughter is now on meds & goes to therapy a couple of times a month. This has been going on for 2 n 1/2 years now but my daughter at least stopped cutting only after a couple of months when she was 13. Just watch her & keep up after her so she knows you care even if they don't think anyone does or if they don't want any one to care
sakpoints
by on May. 23, 2014 at 1:25 AM
My only suggestion is counseling. Sorry your family is dealing with this
Hottmomma607
by Hottie on May. 29, 2014 at 12:27 PM

No help. Counselor,doctor ASAP!

hugs

princezlisa12
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM

My 12 yr old DD "cut" herself the other day and then divulged to the school counselor that she attempted to kill herself over the weekend.  Her cut was just a scrape that was superficial (thank goodness) so I cleaned out and had a discussion with her how incredibly dangerous cutting herself  is.  With her suicidal attempt...while I did take it seriously and was admitted into an inpatient facility, I still have this voice in my head that is saying it's an attention seeking behavior.  There are some great books for adolescents (& their parents.  It's just a very difficult situation. 

Hang in there.  I will be praying for you and your DD. God bless you all

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN