Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Connect with Pampers Connect with Pampers

Surprise Party for DH *Updated with Pictures :)

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 23 Replies
  • 283 Total Views

I'm throwing Shawn a surprise party for his 30th birthday next month and I'm really excited about it, totally stressed, and at some points, at a complete loss of what to do.

Have you ever thrown a surprise party before? What did you do for entertainment? Do you have any tips, suggestions, advice? This isn't the first time I've thrown a surprise party, but it is the first time I threw a classy one (there's a dress code and even a champagne toast!)

*Update:
So here's what I have so far, the guests will arrive around 7:30. I'll have a few appetizers out (32 mini wraps) and drinks for everyone to enjoy while we wait for DH to get home. I have an autograph dog for everyone to sign and I'll have a jar and some post-its for people to write down memories they share with him. I made up a playlist of some of his favorite music - pared down to exclude anything that might be offensive to my 60 year old parents ;) - and that will be playing basically the whole time.

Everyone will have champagne in their hands when he arrives and we'll do a quick toast after the surprise. Then we'll eat. After that, I have a couple games - I have a picture of him from every year of his life and everyone has to try to guess the correct order of the pictures. Winner gets a $5 Dunkin Donuts gift card! Then there will be trivia to see who knows him the best - another $5 gift card for the winner.

Then cake and presents.

And if anyone is still hanging out after all that, I'll have Just Dance ready to go on the Wii!

What do you guys think? Does this sound like fun? Or totally lame?

*Update #2 -

My computer uploads pictures to CM very slowly, so to make my time go by more quickly, I'm also posting a comment with words, here is just pictures :)

Join me in these great groups:
February 2009 Preschoolers (Owner), First Time Moms (Owner),
Love & Marriage (Mod)

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sukainah
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:29 AM

How sweet of you!  I don't have any help for you though, sorry.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM
I have never thrown one or been to one. I have always wanted one tho!

Wish I had some advice. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KCN72782
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Never thrown one, good luck:)
MomToovey
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Lol, thank you ladies!

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I've never thrown one alone...it was always with someone else.  But, good luck!!  Be sure to let us know how the planning is going!

MomToovey
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

It's going really well! I have all the decorations purchased already - most of the stuff is in black, and I have a few over the hill stuff (yes, we both know 30 isn't over the hill, but we joke that it is), and a few silver/blue decorations specifically for 30.

I bought half of the drinks today and it cost $60! Yikes! But I'm determined that this will be a classy-ish party. So far I have 4 bottles of wine and 1 of champagne, and still want 4 more wines and 1 more champagne and some sparkling cider. I also still need to get the non-alcoholic beverages and the food, but I may wait until day of to do that. I'll have about 11 hours between the time he leaves for work until the time guests start arriving.

I have 7 confirmed guests already (which is a big deal since most are Disney CM's and won't know their schedule for that day until this Sunday).

I'm working with his mom to get 30 pictures - 1 from each birthday to put on a poster board. I have a stuffed dog that everyone can sign when they get there, and someone in another group suggested having the guests write a memory of him, so I'll have a jar and some post-its for that, and then we may or may not read them during the party.

And finally, I'm moving the coffee table and I'll have Just Dance 3 on for anyone who wants to play!

I can't believe it's already only a couple weeks away!

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like it has really been coming together for you!!  Yea, drinks are expensive!!  We always spend a ton on them every time we throw something.  I love the memory idea!!  And, what a fun idea to have Just Dance 3 on too!

HeathrAtPampers
by Head Admin on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like fun!  I've only done a casual surprise party and nothing fancy like this.  Sounds like your off to a great start and can't wait to hear more!  Pictures a must ;))   

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
That sounds really fun!
MomToovey
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Bump for update

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)