Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Connect with Pampers Connect with Pampers

To cut or not to cut? *Updated with pictures :)

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 233 Total Views

Ok, that's not really the question, because I'm definitely cutting! I just don't know how much.

I cut my own hair, and every other month or so, I give myself a trim - and then usually around the end of the year, I chop about 3-4 inches off just to keep it from getting too long. Last year, I didn't do the 3-4 inches, so now my hair is way longer than I'm used to. I have grown my hair out in order to donate it twice before, and both times, I ended up with cutter's remorse. It was just too much off at one time for me, and it took about 2 months and 2 more inches growing back before I'd be comfortable with my hair again.

Well, it's long enough now that I can cut enough to donate and still have my hair hang past my shoulders. I've been debating back and forth if I should donate it and possibly hate it, or if I should just chop a few inches off now and then a few more again at the end of the year to avoid my internal drama.

And then I feel really bad for even questioning this, because there are women out there with cancer and want a wig and I'm sitting here crying about a couple months of hair that's "too short"

What would you recommend?

*Update! I did it, I chopped 9 inches off for Pantene Beautiful Lengths. While I'm happy with the donation, I'm still not convinced about my hair. :( I figured it would take some getting used to, and after straightening and styling it this morning, it already looks better than my chopped off, unbraided hair in the picture below, LOL. But DD hates it. She keeps telling me she misses my long hair and asking me why I cut it. Oh well, hopefully this will scare her out of trying to cut her own with scissors!

Join me in these great groups:
February 2009 Preschoolers (Owner), First Time Moms (Owner),
Love & Marriage (Mod)

I'm training for a half marathon! If you'd like to follow my progress from an "all hope is lost" couch potato with a bad knee to a marathon runner, "like" my Page!

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meam4444
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Oh this is a hard one....if you really think you will be unhappy with the amount of hair cut off to donate it, I wouldn't do it...however, with that said, it is a really good cause, and if you think there is a chance you will like your hair being that short, I would do it. 

Good luck with your decision, and be sure to post us a pic of your new do!

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Hope I made a little bit of sense.

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I think what I mean is if you autmatically know you are going to be unhappy with your hair, don't do it, but if there is a chance you will like the shorter hair cut, then do it.

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

If it's longer than the last time you donated, I'd go for it.

MomToovey
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The stupid thing is, the only reason I think I'll be unhappy is because it would then be too short for my current favorite hairstyle. Which makes me mad that I feel that way because there are women out there who do have hair to style at all. I think I'm just going to go through with it and donate it. I just feel like a jerk for not wanting to!

Quoting meam4444:

I think what I mean is if you autmatically know you are going to be unhappy with your hair, don't do it, but if there is a chance you will like the shorter hair cut, then do it.

I'm training for a half marathon! If you'd like to follow my progress from an "All hope is lost" couch potato with a bad knee to a marathon runner, "like" my Page!

MomToovey
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Thanks girls, I think I've officially decided to donate. I just feel like such a jerk saying that I don't want to when there are women out there who don't have that choice.

HeathrAtPampers
by Head Admin on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Congrats on making the call to donate!  Check out how your hair can help cancer patient --> http://www.pantene.com/en-US/PanteneBeautifulLengths/Pages/default.aspx

MomToovey
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Thank you! I used Pantene last time I donated my hair and loved it, so I went with them again this time too!

Quoting HeathrAtPampers:

Congrats on making the call to donate!  Check out how your hair can help cancer patient --> http://www.pantene.com/en-US/PanteneBeautifulLengths/Pages/default.aspx

I'm training for a half marathon! If you'd like to follow my progress from an "All hope is lost" couch potato with a bad knee to a marathon runner, "like" my Page!

sukainah
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM

It looks great!  You don't look so happy in the picture though LOL

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM
It looks great! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)