Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PCS/Housing Question - other questions.

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:27 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 272 Total Views

Hello ladies! :-D We're getting pcs-ed to Ft. Sam in April - we're really very excited. I was just wondering how easy it is to get housing on post there? And what's it like? We're currently at Fort Drum, NY - it's cold here.

Thanks ladies!

sunglasses mini   Rachel<3

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamisty249
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Housing isn't too bad depending on what area you get.  The wait can be kinda long though again depending on what you need.  Our house is about 10 years old and while we sometimes have to nag to get stuff fixed they usally give us what we need.  Our neighbors are a bit of a pain right now, but the ones before were so quiet.  Again all that depends on the neighborhood you get.  What else do you want to know?  FYI there is another post down a bit further talking about moving here too.  Overall it's pretty nice.

Misty

sunnymama84
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:50 AM

and if you cant find a house on post there are lots of off post options that are good. we rent a 3 brd 2 bath off post with a fenced yard and garage for 700 and were only about 6 miles from base

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds-Bob Marley

Blubuni99
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Thanks ladies! We were talking about possibly living off-post but my husband is worried about the commute & I want to choose a good school district and I don't know which side of town is the "good side"/"bad side" - even though I've heard and read really good things about San Antonio. I'm just overly paranoid about... crime. But I was looking at houses online and if we rented off post, how much are utilities usually?

I'm excited about moving to Texas - because my bff lives near Dallas and my family lives in Arkansas so I'm excited. We're in Fort Drum, Ny. IDK if any of y'all have been here before but it's SO cold. It snows all the time and we're upstate. Like 30 minutes from Canada. Usually when I tell people 'NY', they assume we live in or near the City. And we don't. So I'm excited about this move. It will be drastically different from where we live now, I know. How do you guys like San Antonio/Fort Sam?

ALSO how are the houses on post? I was looking on the website but all the ones on the website were huge & I was thinking maybe those were the officers houses - and my husband is not an officer. Are the enlisted soldiers houses that big or was I right?

EnAMommy26
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM
Hi, we live off of 410 South...near Brooks which is about 10 minutes from Ft.Sam Houston! We are in the East Central Ind. School District. It's an AWESOME school district you can google it and get their grades...they are the best to me!! My daughter have been going for years...my girls are 7 and 5! We also live in a brand new subdivision...with nice big houses, for cheap, well, your BAH...and nice people! The best people! If you have any questions please let me know...We've been here 6 years and we are moving in April to Germany...so our house is available!!
jfire72
by Member on Feb. 7, 2009 at 1:16 PM

I really like it here but we came from Ft Hood lol so I was just happy to get out of there.  We live off post in a 4 bedroom, 2800 sq ft home and BAH covers our rent, electric and water.  We pay $0.5-0.6/kwh for electric whereas we were paying $0.19/kwh at Hood so it makes a huge difference.

We're in Judson school district and one of the elementary schools is actually right in our neighborhood.  It's about 10 minutes to post, depending on traffic. Once the construction is done on our road it will probably be even shorter.

I've heard a lot of good things about Northside/Northeast schools and neighborhoods.  I like our house but I sometimes I wish we would've looked more north of us since we spend a lot of time up that way.

It's a great city though, traffic is heavy at times and some of the drivers are stupid.  I think the traffic up in Austin is a lot worse.  It's normally a 5 hour drive to Dallas but I-35 is notorious for it's long backups.  My husband passed one yesterday that was literally 10 miles long.

Blubuni99
by Member on Feb. 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Well thanks again ladies! :-D That's nuts about traffic - I was excited about being able to take I-35 all the way to Dallas bc my bff lives in Denton. I'm so ready to get out of Ft. Drum. I hate it here. Lately the weather hasn't been terrible but I'm still ready to get to Texas!

SilverMonarch
by Member on Feb. 25, 2009 at 12:24 AM

My family got here in Sept....  We live off post because the on post waiting list was too long.  We live on the east side of town and are very happy with our area.  If you plan on doing a lot of exploring I'd recommend housing further north since most of the really cool/daily shopping stuff is there.  My son was enrolled in the East Central school district but I recently had to pull him out.  I was NOT pleased with the school districts special education system, but if you don't need special education services you'd be fine.  All in all I LOVE the weather here!  We came from Michigan so the warm winter is a HUGE change for us!

Good luck to you!

Oh, and our monthly utilities have not been more than $350 counting cable/internet.  This is great for us since in MI our gas/electric was often close to or over $500!

jfire72
by Member on Feb. 26, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Quoting SilverMonarch:

My family got here in Sept....  We live off post because the on post waiting list was too long.  We live on the east side of town and are very happy with our area.  If you plan on doing a lot of exploring I'd recommend housing further north since most of the really cool/daily shopping stuff is there.  My son was enrolled in the East Central school district but I recently had to pull him out.  I was NOT pleased with the school districts special education system, but if you don't need special education services you'd be fine.  All in all I LOVE the weather here!  We came from Michigan so the warm winter is a HUGE change for us!

Good luck to you!

Oh, and our monthly utilities have not been more than $350 counting cable/internet.  This is great for us since in MI our gas/electric was often close to or over $500!

Where at in MI?  We're originally from the Kalamazoo/Portage area (SW in the mitten lol)

Vonnesure
by Member on Feb. 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM

My sister's son - his dad's side of the family is from the Flint/Kalamazoo areas as well...small world

Quoting jfire72:

Quoting SilverMonarch:

Good luck to you!

Where at in MI?  We're originally from the Kalamazoo/Portage area (SW in the mitten lol)

Blubuni99
by Member on Feb. 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Quoting SilverMonarch:

Good luck to you!

Awesome! Thanks so much. If we can't find a house on post, then we're probably going to rent off post. I just want to make sure we can afford rent and utilities! But thanks!!! :)

muffin Rachel <3

Love it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)