Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Bible is God's word. Why?

I would like to know why a Christian believes that the Bible is the true word of God.

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Replies (11-16):
PrincessNicole
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Jesus did not say that.  He said He was returning, but no one knew the day or the hour.  

AdrianneHill
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Wasn't there some sort of verse along the lines of (total paraphrase) "before this generation depart from the earth, I/He will return"?
I know I have heard people who believe refer to that verse and try to explain it that certain things had to happen and before that particular generation died off. But I've read the verse and its intent is pretty clear that the speaker meant this generation in his audience right then. But we all have to explain several things away when reading the bible, even people who claim it is the literal truth word for word in the Elizabethan English just like Jesus spoke. There were several writers over many years and little contradictions abound in there but they are ignored outright, dismissed, or explained away so the reader/believer doesn't get bogged down in the trifling minutiae instead of allowing their soul to take in the entire story and intent of the storyteller/God was trying to convey. At least that's the line I was always given by a clergy person if I could get an answer at all about any difficult questions I had as a kid. Most of the adults I knew did the ignoring or dismissing part.

Quoting PrincessNicole:

Jesus did not say that.  He said He was returning, but no one knew the day or the hour.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Group Owner on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Quoting AdrianneHill:

I'm not in the mood for research but one of the big ones is when Jesus said he would be back before the people who knew had died. I'm sure that didn't happen. 

(Matthew 16:28) (Luke 9:27) (Mark 13:30-31) (Mark 14:62) (1 John 3:2) (1 John 2:18)

PrincessNicole
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM

http://www.gotquestions.org/this-generation-not-pass.html

http://www.gotquestions.org/not-taste-death.html

I attend a church that believes in KNOWLEDGE.  My pastor teaches that everyone has questions and everyone has a right to an answer for their questions.  Any pastor or lay person who tells you that you have to believe it just because that's what "faith" is, is wrong.

God gave us brains for a reason.  He wanted us to think.

When reading the Scriptures, you can't just pick out a verse here and there and make it say whatever you want it to say.  In order to really understand what the Bible is saying, you have to read each passage as a whole.  Not tear it apart.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Wasn't there some sort of verse along the lines of (total paraphrase) "before this generation depart from the earth, I/He will return"?
I know I have heard people who believe refer to that verse and try to explain it that certain things had to happen and before that particular generation died off. But I've read the verse and its intent is pretty clear that the speaker meant this generation in his audience right then. But we all have to explain several things away when reading the bible, even people who claim it is the literal truth word for word in the Elizabethan English just like Jesus spoke. There were several writers over many years and little contradictions abound in there but they are ignored outright, dismissed, or explained away so the reader/believer doesn't get bogged down in the trifling minutiae instead of allowing their soul to take in the entire story and intent of the storyteller/God was trying to convey. At least that's the line I was always given by a clergy person if I could get an answer at all about any difficult questions I had as a kid. Most of the adults I knew did the ignoring or dismissing part.

Quoting PrincessNicole:

Clairwil
by Group Owner on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Quoting PrincessNicole:

http://www.gotquestions.org/not-taste-death.html

If those are the 'clear' interpretations, why is it that the early church nearly universally believed that he would be returning in glory in their own life times?  Why did they interpret it as a promise?   Surely the people who actually heard Jesus would have a better idea of what he meant than those just reading the few words written down?

jcribb16
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM

"This quote of Jesus in regards to the end times is found in Matthew 24:34;Mark 13:30; and Luke 21:32. Jesus said, "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." The key to understanding what Jesus means is the context; that is, we must understand the verses that are surrounding verse 34, but especially the verses prior to it. In Matthew 24:4-31, Jesus is speaking of future events. The generation of people living when those events occur is the generation that Jesus speaks of "not passing" until He returns. Jesus had already told those living during His earthly ministry that the kingdom had been taken from them (Matthew 21:43). Therefore, it is imperative that Matthew 24-25 be seen as speaking of a future time. The word “generation” refers to the people alive in the future when the events of Matthew 24-25 will occur."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN