Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am not sure I am in the right group?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:49 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 206 Total Views

My son has TBI he is only 8. I feel so lost, I am at a scary point right now. He goes to a school for kids with mental disorders, which he does have ADHD and ODD too. But his TBI is the main problem bc he acts out and doesn't know why. For example just last week He went to school the first words out his mouth was (Ray Ray is back.) Which is what they call him at school when he is being bad. Then he went into class and told them not doing my work today then he was throwing over desks and kicking everything he could reach, to make long story short they called me want to put him in the hospital but I would not go for it bc he is not like that at home. They took him out of his classroom with 13 kids in it and put him in a room with just himself and a teacher and he was a different kid but they don't have the staff to do that all the time for him. They sent him home that day. And he came home and I never had any trouble the rest of the day. But I can not keep him home the rest of his life.  The reason my son has TBI is bc he pulled a 32in tv on his head at 3 yr old and crushed his skull.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
feralxat
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Yes, you are in the correct group.

Welcome!

I am feralxat and my SO has a TBI (about 2 years now) after a 12 foot fall from a roof and hitting several rungs on the way down.

• SkulkyGirl has a 13 with a TBI. She may be a resource for you. Her child was injured in January.

Why do they want him hospitalized?

Have you tried to get help through disability so he can stay in school? An aide? He is protected through ADA and every accommodation should be made to facilitate his staying in school.

He may be over stimulated by the larger class, noise and activity. How are his pain levels?

Ask us anything- we have moms, partners and sufferers of TBI.

sherry132
by TBI Group Owner on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Hello Strong.mom. It's great to have you here.

No you aren't in the wrong group. This group is a support group for everyone who has knowledge or experience with a TBI. The point of the group is to find help, offer support, and when no has answers, to search with you. 

It's a slow group which you will not be kicked out of for non activity. The group is slow because when dealing with a TBI it can be several days or weeks before you will have time to come back.

I encourage you to read through posts from the past. 

I check the group everyday and if I don't have advice to offer I will look for it. 

I am sure at this point you are worn out. Can you tell me about some of the treatments he received after the injury?

He is acting out because of sensory problems, along with his ADHD and ODD his young mind can't make sense of the world so he compensates in ways that hide the injury, although to us they just make the injury louder. 

It's nice to have you in the group. I have to go to work now, but I'll be back this evening. Hugs to you, stay strong. 

mstkn.identity
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Hi :-)
And welcome

My dad has a TBI due to a car accident, April 29th.

TBI's are deffiantley difficult for the person and those around him/her to deal with.

Its been quite the roller coaster ride the last few months with dad.

Lots of ((hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by TBI Group Owner on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM

How are things going?

strong.mom2000
by New Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Well he was out of school all last week bc of Thanksgiving break. He went to his daddy's for three days. When he got home he has a spot on his arm at first it looked like a bruse, but now we are thinking sprider bit it is black and it has a knot in the middle of it. Looks like back to the dr we go .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
willysmama
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I also have a son with a tbi who is 8 years old. Is there a way that you can get him to a behaviorist? My son had a really bad time adjusting to school in a class with kids that made to much noise. They were able to switch him to a quieter classroom and advised me to seek out a behaviorist. It has helped a great deal

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)