Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"i dont want people to think im stupid"

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:04 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 228 Total Views
^^^ That is one of dads biggest fears now. That when he talks to people someone will think he is stupid.

Tomorrow will be 7 months since the accident and wow has dad come a long ways. He still has a lot of issues, but his progress is amazing.

He can carry a pretty decent conversation and in a month he should be released to drive the car again, given his neurologist, insurance, ect all agrees and releases him.

He got approved for SSD. So thats good.

But you ready for this? Tomorrow night he will stand in front of a group and do his first public speech. Yay. We are going to try and record it and if so i will try to post it here. Im so excited. He is scared and nervous.

Now back to the title. He really tries to do things alone but with not being able to speak properly his communication is limited. He still cant read, but he may never be able to. Along with the Aphasia he has Alexia without Agraphia, but he can write out words. Its really weird but cool.

So he will call places and pass the phone to mom or I when he doesnt understand what is bein said or when in public ask for our assistance. Well im really impressed with people. They dont treat him weird or like he is stupid. They are always so sweet to him.

Lately dad has really been pushin me out of my comfort zone and pushin my anxiety to the max, but ive survived. Lol I have been drivin a lot lately, so mom can rest (shes been really sick) and usin the phone. Those are 2 of my worst "triggers." I feel in a way this is helpin me to deal with my anxiety disorder and get past it. I still deal with it a lot, but im slowly learnin to not let it control me.

Im really excited for tomorrow night. Im so very proud of dad. I so hope we can record it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
feralxat
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck to you and your dad

and that line, "don't want people to think I am stupid". If I had a nickle. SO says it a lot, or rather said. Topomax has eliminated the pain allowing him to think clearly for the first time in two years.

The drug was on my, "What are you thankful for" list this past thanksgiving.

mstkn.identity
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Thanks. I cant go because Kid is sick :-( But im excited itll be recorded.

Quoting feralxat:

Good luck to you and your dad

and that line, "don't want people to think I am stupid". If I had a nickle. SO says it a lot, or rather said. Topomax has eliminated the pain allowing him to think clearly for the first time in two years.

The drug was on my, "What are you thankful for" list this past thanksgiving.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by TBI Group Owner on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I just saw this, how did it go? That's such wonderful news. I cannot believe I've known you for 7 months! 

As for the feeling stupid, I don't think it ever goes away. Danny knows he is broken, but he doesn't feel it or see it. When other people get frustrated with, or when he does something incorrectly he feels stupid and slips into a slump.

It's been really rough lately. He's been weird, we have to see the psychologist next week because he messed up his meds and is having so many issues. 

I really hope wonderful things for both you and your dad. Hugs. 

mstkn.identity
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:44 AM
Awe poor Danny and you. I hope they get his meds fixed up and get him back on track.

Dad did excellent. Ill post the video tomorrow. Its hard to believe its been 7 months already. Time sure flies.

Quoting sherry132:

I just saw this, how did it go? That's such wonderful news. I cannot believe I've known you for 7 months! 

As for the feeling stupid, I don't think it ever goes away. Danny knows he is broken, but he doesn't feel it or see it. When other people get frustrated with, or when he does something incorrectly he feels stupid and slips into a slump.

It's been really rough lately. He's been weird, we have to see the psychologist next week because he messed up his meds and is having so many issues. 

I really hope wonderful things for both you and your dad. Hugs. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by TBI Group Owner on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Taps toes.... still waiting and waiting... Hope all is well. :)

mstkn.identity
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Sorry. I don't get access to a computer often.

Bit if you YouTube Alan Brott. 2 videos from a year ago and the one from 11/29 should show up. If you'd like you can add them to this post or a new one.

Quoting sherry132:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by TBI Group Owner on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Why don't you do both. We really need to get this group a bit more active. :) Hey, Danny got a job and he's doing great with it! I'm super excited about that. :) How are you?

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Bit if you YouTube Alan Brott. 2 videos from a year ago and the one from 11/29 should show up. If you'd like you can add them to this post or a new one.

Quoting sherry132:

mstkn.identity
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM
I don't have access to a computer to post them here :-( just my cellphone.

That is awesome. I'm so happy for him.

I'm doing OK. Shhhhh I might be going to Vegas in a couple weeks with my cousin. Lol

Dads going to be speaking again tomorrow night at a storytellin thing. I'm so happy for him.

Quoting sherry132:

Why don't you do both. We really need to get this group a bit more active. :) Hey, Danny got a job and he's doing great with it! I'm super excited about that. :) How are you?

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Quoting sherry132:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by TBI Group Owner on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

There you go. :)

Quoting mstkn.identity:

I'm doing OK. Shhhhh I might be going to Vegas in a couple weeks with my cousin. Lol

Dads going to be speaking again tomorrow night at a storytellin thing. I'm so happy for him.

Quoting sherry132:

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Quoting sherry132:

mstkn.identity
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Thanks.

Quoting sherry132:

There you go. :)

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Quoting sherry132:

Quoting mstkn.identity:

Quoting sherry132:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN