Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My confession, I figure you gals are the best to tell

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 307 Total Views
So I know this is a drama free group so I hope the judgement will stay at bay. I am asking for help. I know I have a problem, help me fix it please.

I have a bad addiction to fast food. Wicked bad addiction. I know my health is suffering from it and I want to stop. It has gotten less these last couple months, but it needs to stop and I realize that may sound easy but its not.

I eat cuz I get stressed and have depression and anxiety too. I have meds but don't take them like I should and that is changing. But I need coping strategies for when I'm stressed and want to eat. Anyone have any?

So help me start please! Help me start with healthy foods to eat! Help me change my life! Please give me any advice you can.

Dh and I have started working out but the meals need to change too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
college.mom
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh sweetie you sound like me.

If I have even a dollar I seriously go and get fast food, even if I am not hungry.  I lost 17 pounds...I gained all but 2 back.  I am ashamed and frustrated.  Have you thought about logging food on myfitnesspal?  That at least opened my mind to the calories I was intaking in the food.  I dont know how I will get through the next 6 months.  I have NO money for that.

Mipsy
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:45 AM
No I have heard many like it, I should try it. I'm the same way, I'll scrounge up change :/ blegh

I'm sorry you deal with it too but I'm glad I'm not alone

Quoting college.mom:

If I have even a dollar I seriously go and get fast food, even if I am not hungry.  I lost 17 pounds...I gained all but 2 back.  I am ashamed and frustrated.  Have you thought about logging food on myfitnesspal?  That at least opened my mind to the calories I was intaking in the food.  I dont know how I will get through the next 6 months.  I have NO money for that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamielynnef2
by Butterfly Mahi on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Oh sweetie, everyone struggles with something! Have you tried seeing a nutrionist?...def start taking your meds like you should...I don't like fast food but I love food...my suggestions would be to go to a nutrionist even if its just for one time bc they can give you a lot of in sight and let you hold and feel and see what a pound of fat is...and help you to visualize what your eating and how it turns in your body...I also would suggest a journal...write about how you're feeling and what you're feeling and thinking and write in it every single time u eat....another thing I would do is increase your water in take and every time you want to reach for food, grab a bottle of water instead and just Chug it! Fill up with fruits and veggies ....my fave thing is frozen grapes...they are crunchy,cold and sweet...so I grab those when I feel like snacking ....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Thanks so much. I do want to see a nutritionist, I just started thinking about that after I wrote this post. I dunno how to find one in my area though and need to see if insurance will cover it (and if not, how much will it cost me). I also need to go back to my psychologist so I could probably ask him about a nutritionist I think. I also found overeater anonymous group meetings I think I may attend.

The journal is an awesome idea, I love it! Definitely going to do that! And the water thing, oh I hate water but I never drink it and need to, now is as good of a time as any, yeah? I stole dh's gum he takes to work too so I can munch on that, bad or good idea?

And I loved frozen grapes as a kid, definitely will start that again! Really thank you!

Quoting jamielynnef2:

Oh sweetie, everyone struggles with something! Have you tried seeing a nutrionist?...def start taking your meds like you should...I don't like fast food but I love food...my suggestions would be to go to a nutrionist even if its just for one time bc they can give you a lot of in sight and let you hold and feel and see what a pound of fat is...and help you to visualize what your eating and how it turns in your body...I also would suggest a journal...write about how you're feeling and what you're feeling and thinking and write in it every single time u eat....another thing I would do is increase your water in take and every time you want to reach for food, grab a bottle of water instead and just Chug it! Fill up with fruits and veggies ....my fave thing is frozen grapes...they are crunchy,cold and sweet...so I grab those when I feel like snacking ....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
college.mom
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Its helped me a lot.  I still do it, but I make healthier choices now.  Also when possible only bring enough money to get what you are going to the store for.  I dont carry any money on my anymore when I go to school so I cant spend it.

Quoting Mipsy:

No I have heard many like it, I should try it. I'm the same way, I'll scrounge up change :/ blegh

I'm sorry you deal with it too but I'm glad I'm not alone

Quoting college.mom:

jamielynnef2
by Butterfly Mahi on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:13 AM
No problem sweetie! You could probably Google nutrionists in your area :-) I know a lot of inxurance covers so many visits...even if you get one or two to kinda steer you in the right direction ya know?....Idk about gum...it makes me hungry lol ....as for water...oh my I dispised it lol but I always made it ice cold and would just chug...now I love water :-) .....a big thing is, don't tell yourself you can't have it.bc them ull want it more....when starting out, give yourself a goal...like go so long and then have little reward to wein yourself and be less tempted to cave. :-)

Quoting Mipsy:

Thanks so much. I do want to see a nutritionist, I just started thinking about that after I wrote this post. I dunno how to find one in my area though and need to see if insurance will cover it (and if not, how much will it cost me). I also need to go back to my psychologist so I could probably ask him about a nutritionist I think. I also found overeater anonymous group meetings I think I may attend.

The journal is an awesome idea, I love it! Definitely going to do that! And the water thing, oh I hate water but I never drink it and need to, now is as good of a time as any, yeah? I stole dh's gum he takes to work too so I can munch on that, bad or good idea?

And I loved frozen grapes as a kid, definitely will start that again! Really thank you!

Quoting jamielynnef2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamielynnef2
by Butterfly Mahi on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Oh and Idk if you ever looked in to weight watchers....but my MIL lost 88lbs with weight watchers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkHairMAMA
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Girl I'm right there with you. I have started making sure I don't carry cash or change in me. I got to the point I knew EXACTLY how much everything was. When I quit carrying cash I would come home and transfer that amount I would have spent into a savings account. It really added up. I ended up taking my DH back to SF for an extended weekend to see his family and have a romantic weekend without our kids. I loved having something else to look forward to!! Make it BIG so you really have to work for it. Mine paid for plane tickets, hotel(I wasn't going to stay with mil), a couple of cute outfits, and a couple of nice romantic sitdown meals there.

Good luck!! Cheering for you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:42 AM
That's a really neat idea!!! Thanks! That's kewl to hear what you were able to do, and again its nice knowing I'm not alone.

Quoting PinkHairMAMA:

Girl I'm right there with you. I have started making sure I don't carry cash or change in me. I got to the point I knew EXACTLY how much everything was. When I quit carrying cash I would come home and transfer that amount I would have spent into a savings account. It really added up. I ended up taking my DH back to SF for an extended weekend to see his family and have a romantic weekend without our kids. I loved having something else to look forward to!! Make it BIG so you really have to work for it. Mine paid for plane tickets, hotel(I wasn't going to stay with mil), a couple of cute outfits, and a couple of nice romantic sitdown meals there.

Good luck!! Cheering for you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM
I will get to googling and I'll call insurance Monday to see what they cover. And I did weight watchers with my mom when I was 17, I didn't have to pay but now I do and its just too expensive for me. I used to go to.curves too but its $30 a month here. :/

Quoting jamielynnef2:

Oh and Idk if you ever looked in to weight watchers....but my MIL lost 88lbs with weight watchers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)