Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wow! FREE cell phones & FREE service!

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 135 Total Views
I'm watching my local news and they were running a story on a federal program that lets anyone get a free phone and service. They also made mention that everyone that has a cell phone pays a fee to that "charity" program to help those unfortunate.

I got to thinking....is there really a NEED for this program? I, personally, only find cell phones as a luxury item, not a have to have.(yes, I have a cell phone that I pay for lol iPhone for me)

What are your alls thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bmw29
by Spitfire_Bobbie on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually think for some people a cell phone is a necessity in an age where pay phones are being phased out. Especially if they don't have a house phone. In the case of free phones I do think a limited amount of minutes are needed for emergency related situations and unlimited access to 911.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
little.worthen
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:56 PM
I think what BMW said it right. I think they should be really limited but now a days, nobody uses pay phone and cells are cheaper than land lines and more convenient.
Lol and my son doesn't even know what a pay phone is or how to use it.. Lol there are booths for them all over here but they have no phones in them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
college.mom
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I absolutely think its a need.  Like BMW said, payphones are being phased out.  The free phone I know of only offers 250 free texts and 250 free minutes a month, and its the most basic phone you can get, its not a smart phone, its a phone for emergencies/job hunting.

taKENheart
by Heatherly on Aug. 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM

People definitely need one for emergencies.  We don't live in an area that has a ton of taxis, plus I live in the country.  There are no payphones in my small town and I haven't seen any...wait one at walmart, lol but not everybody can get there for an emergency call.  I saw a post of this nature get really ugly in another group, lol.  Just FYI, if any of you have one or are thinking about getting one then don't feel ashamed about posting it in here.  I will not judge you and I am confident the ladies in here would be supportive. :) Just had to say it, LOL!

Sassy762
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I think those phones are for people on PA or on some kind of government aid. You only get 250 minutes per  month and I think it a very basic phone...no camera,internet or texting

Apollos82
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM
I'm torn. I'm not a fan of PA, though I sadly have needed it from time to time...

But to the point, anything beyond a basic trac phone to me is a luxury. PA should not be "posh" or fancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)